Replacing aerator...do I just knock the thing through?

jgregory01

Seaman
My aerator just died. It gets juice, because the whole thing gets hot, but does not spin or take in water. It is an Attwood 500gph #4108 which is no longer made. I read other posts so I will not ask about the intake diameter stuff, I know they are difference sizes now.

Is there a chance that there is something stopping the impeller? Can I take a water hose to the intake valve, at the transom and force water into it and possibly free the impeller?

If I have to replace it, I am not an electrician and I am not very well versed in electronics. I have attached some pictures of my current set up as a reference.

For removing my current aerator, can I just tap it out with a rubber mallet or is there some retaining nut that I cannot see. I removed the retaining plastic nut that is on the outside of the intake pipe. It screws on and rests against the transom. When I removed it I figured the aerator would come out without much difficulty but no doing. Is it being held on with sealant and that is all? I can see some kind of white soft caulk looking sealent between the unit and the transom. It can barely be seen in the attached photo.

Second...the wiring. Can I just cut the brown/black wire from the original unit and connect the new wires without problems? I have shrink tubing and a heat gun. There is a nest of wires that are set behind other piping that I would prefer not to deal with. The photo is attached.

I guess that is about all I have. Thanks.

2012-01-30_14-50-04_278.jpg

2012-01-30_14-54-27_103.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing aerator...do I just knock the thing through?

What you are looking at is indeed sealant. But before you try to push the thing out, look at the motor side of the unit. There are a couple of screws you can remove to separate the motor from the rest of the housing. Do that and then see if you can turn the motor shaft by hand. If not, the motor is toast. You could also turn the switch on when you have the motor off. If it doesn't run it is also toast. If the motor runs, then turn the impeller the opposite direction. There likely is something stuck in the pump. If the impeller is clear and free but the motor doesn't run, then push out the housing however necessary and install the new one using appropriate sealant.

As for the wires, why not follow those back to where they connect now. Separate them there rather than creating another potential point of failure. Yes -- you just connect the new brown/black wires to the existing brown/black wires.

Bondo

Staff member

jgregory01,.... Please don't post yer question in multipule forums....

I'm gonna delete the others I find....

Thank you,....

jgregory01

Seaman
My apologies bond-o. My original post was in the wrong place. Didn't realize there was an issue. Ill make the corrections next time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

jgregory01

Seaman
Btw...there aren't others...? Just the two.everything cool?

jgregory01

Seaman
@ Silvertip. Thank you for the information. In order to remove the motor I will have to remove the entire assembly. There is no room to remove the third screw that you can't see on the other side of the motor. I figure if I'm gonna do that I may as well replace it. What would you recommend for sealant? I would like something that is not going to turn into stone and be impossible to remove.

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I happen to use RTV silicone but some tend to feel RTV does not belong on a boat. While I differ with that, virtually any calk or flexible sealant will be fine. Apply it liberally and wipe off the excess after you tighten the nut.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello OP and ST, Looking at your pics, I'd say pull-it out, throw-it out and start over, the wiring swirl alone suggests a problem or problems to come. If you can free-up the impeller and the units' not been water-compromised, you might be able to save it as ST has explained. Good Luck.

jgregory01

Seaman

So I pulled the old and put in a new Rule 500gph. Turns out the intake was the same size so no plumbing necessary. I have attached a photo of what I found. I think I should have run fresh water through it as well when I wash down the outboard. I will have to make a contraption to allow for this. May prolong the life of the aerator.

2012-02-08_08-25-41_103.jpg