1976 Evinrude 2hp starts but will only run with choke out

heron2000

Cadet
i have a 1976 Evinrude 2hp motor that will only run if the choke is out all the way. Any ideas what i need to check for. When i push the choke in a little it starts to run better but if i put the choke in 1/2 way it kills the engine.
i'm thinking that maybe the engine is haveing a hard time pulling in the gas air mixture and that maybe the gas is being held up someplace.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1976 Evinrude 2hp starts but will only run with choke out

You can certainly check the fuel tank vent. Though, it's very common on older motors to rebuild the carbs. You main jet may have some junk in it.

Just a note, the older motors were never designed to run on the modern alcohol/ special additives fuels. The rubber in my older Johnson melted in my hands.

Chriswalden

Seaman Apprentice

You did not specify if it just will not idle or if you have to choke it to get it to run at all throttle settings. You have 2 different jets in your carb, and idle jet and a main jet. If you are have problems idling then you may want to look at adjusting your idle mixture setting. If not then you may have a fuel delivery problem and that would mean that you have a fuel/air leak somewhere in the fuel system, or your carb is gunked up.

heron2000

Cadet

The engine will only run when the choke is out completely. If i push the choke in a little it runs better but if i push the choke in half way the engine will die.
I did just replace the packing washers on the slow and high needle valves - i'll try tightning the nuts and see if that stops the air leak.

kfa4303

Banned

HI heron. It does sound like your motor is starved your fuel (i.e. running too lean). This is generally due to having clogged lo/hi speed jets in your carb. The ethanol in modern fuel tends to cause deposits to form in the tiny passages of the carb. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it other than stay vigilant and clean the carb regularly (one or twice a year is usually enough). Here are some handy links that can help you get your carb set up. You can get a new carb kit right here at iboats for about $20 too.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm ( this is for a diferent motor, but all of the steps are the same for yours)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Dirty carb and/or misadjusted.