Buying first sailboat

Brayden132

Recruit
Hello everybody

Im seeking so info about buying a used sailboat in ontario closer to toronto the better, ive been racing for about 8 years now on a friends boat and now well i figure its time to get my own boat, first of all im looking for under 25ft and under 10k what would be a good boat, ive been looking at a shark 24 for racing/ weekend crusie, im looking at mainly one or two people if we go out sailing, also when buying how does it work after you pay the guy like paper work or anything? any tips

hostage

Lieutenant
Re: Buying first sailboat

I have looked at sailboats and have owned them, though I currently own a runabout. There seems to be a lot of good boats out there, we use to have a Catalina 22, and that seems to be a popular boat to race. In the US you get the previous owner to sign over the title to you and he also gives you any lean release if applicable. You then go to the DMV and pay an applicable fees and give them the title, they then reissue you a new title listing you as the owner.

A friend of mine races boats and I think since many people have different types of boats, they handicap certain boats. You may be first in a race, though someone else might "win" as their boat won with the handicap.

Regards,

Hostage

OBW414

Cadet

Kirby 25 great little race boat and enough room to cruise on the weekends. They have some one design up that way or make a very good phrf racer as well. I owned one for 10 years and they are a fun solid built boat. Can find for 5K and don't cost much to maintain.

OBW414

Cadet

I owned and raced one for 10 years before giving it to my brother. I have had J24, J22, Olson 30 and many others the Kirby is a good boat for the money. J24 always popular for that size range as well

Brayden132

Recruit

I Know alot about kribys, how they sail, race and repair, we have about 11 of them at our club

Red Baron 1959

Recruit

Hello everybody

Im seeking so info about buying a used sailboat in ontario closer to toronto the better, ive been racing for about 8 years now on a friends boat and now well i figure its time to get my own boat, first of all im looking for under 25ft and under 10k what would be a good boat, ive been looking at a shark 24 for racing/ weekend crusie, im looking at mainly one or two people if we go out sailing, also when buying how does it work after you pay the guy like paper work or anything? any tips

You asked about paperwork. In the U>S>, older boats don't have titles. I just bought my third Catalina 27 (a 1980) and the only proof of ownership on all three was a bill of sale. I don't know when titles were started to be used.

OBW414

Cadet

You asked about paperwork. In the U>S>, older boats don't have titles. I just bought my third Catalina 27 (a 1980) and the only proof of ownership on all three was a bill of sale. I don't know when titles were started to be used.
The way they do titles varies from state to state. I have owned many of boats pre 1980 that all came with titles. They give a very hard time around here with no title

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

There are scads of good under 25 footers for under $10K. If you enjoyed racing, you can't go wrong with a J/. I have a Santana 525 and love it. Don't know if this violates forum rules but try sailingtexas.com. Lots of boats from around the country. I did read one thing you wrote that might steer you away from a racer.....and I know I'll catch some flack from short-handers (which I am one) "I'm looking at mainly one or two people if we go out sailing..." A J/22 or J/24, my boat, a Merit, Ranger, etc. can become a handful for one or two crew pretty quickly if the breeze builds. A Catalina 22 or 25, S2 7.3, O'Day, Hunter, etc. may be better alternatives.