1972 Johnson 6HP troubleshooting

cjleger337

Recruit
I have a 1972 Johnson 6HP that I am trying to fix up to put on my 10ft aluminum boat. I can get it to start, but only for a few seconds. Here are a few issues I am running into.

I might add that I by no means am a mechanic, so you may have to dumb things down for me. I just break things down to simplest form, which is why I even got this far into the project.

-Oil/Fuel mixture coming out of the underwater exhaust. This is basically my main concern, does it indicate something major is wrong with this motor?

- Motor runs strong for a few seconds, then dies out when I turn the choke off. I have adjusted the rich/lean idle screw, but am still having the same issue.

If anyone can help me with this matter it would be greatly appreciated, I cant let this motor defeat me!!!

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Johnson 6HP troubleshooting

Very, very often on older motors, the carbs need cleaning out. It sounds like your carb idle jet is okay, but the main (high speed) jet is plugged. Get a rebuild kit and clean it up.

Just a note, the older outboards were never designed to work with the alcohol fuels or those with super additives, such as techlorine. I've had fuel lines and fuel pumps melt in my hands. This will definitely slow you down.