1994 Evinrude trim and starting problems

redders8

Recruit
Hope someone can help I have a 94 evinrude 115hp, Friday I went to warm it up on my drive before heading out, I had the cover off as I turned the key to start it a spark came from in the area of the starter solenoid and from then on it just clicked, for the rest of the joyess evening I spent starring at the motor, later that evening I went to trim up the tilt and all i got was buzzing from the relays so I manually released the motor and put it up for the evening. The following morning I went out to the boat hit the trim on the motor and it moved breifly then stopped again, i checked all the connections I could the battery is fully charged so made the decision it was the starter solenoid that had gone bad, ran down to the local store bought a new solenoid and two new relays for the trim whilst i was there ran back with sure hope installed the starter solenoid and the two new trim relays pushed the trim on the control and motor still buzzed and nothing at all from the starter solenoid, now I am really stuck can anybody shed some light on this for me please.

bassnron

Cadet
Re: 1994 Evinrude trim and starting problems

redders8, im assuming the starter solenoid does nothing, the moter doesnt fire. check your inline fuse adjacent to the starter.. its in a fuse holder 20A about 5/8 inch long. that my help your solenoid problem. I too am having trim problems like you new relays only clicking.

redders8

Recruit

Thanks I checked that fuse it is not blown, really stuck on this.

will62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can rule out a bad starter motor by using jumper cables to connect 12v directly to starter (key off). If starter motor is good, you can test the solenoid as described in the diagram below.
solenoid test.jpg

You can rule out a bad trim motor by connecting 12v directly to either the blue or green trim motor wires (blue=up; green=down). When there is no power going to the relay, the other wire (blue or green), should be grounded. You can do a continuity check between the other wire and a known good ground to verify this.

bassnron

Cadet

redders8
we are having almost exactly same problems. look in the archives (top 4 or 5 files) when you open this "specific" forum. alot of chatter there. sound like we both have shorts somewhere.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you check all the battery grounds on the mtr also ??

bassnron

Cadet

redders8,
just finished changing trim motor works great now, just need to add some trim oil. still got to check solenoid and starter. have you found any solution yet?
I have a question for all you guys. While reassembling, there is a small black tube up at the top of the motor. I dont remember diconnecting it when i removed the air silencer assy. any thoughts? also a tube which comes from the balance tube manifold Im thinking a drain tube?