Mercury Optimax help

jaydap

Recruit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for looking/helping! I currently have a 2005 Optimax 115. I took the boat into the shop for annual service. The mechanic advised me that when he hooked the diagnostic tool up to the motor it would not read the ECM. He advised me that he wanted to put a spare ECM to see if the ECM was the problem. He advised that it would take 2-4 hours and doesnt know if that was the problem but I would still be charged labor hours at $80 an hour. I told him no. The motor runs fine. It starts fine and idols with no problems and runs great. A week or so later I tried to hook a smartcraft guage and it also would not detect the ECM as it read "nonE" Is the ECM the problem even though the motor runs great? Should I be looking somewhere else? I am lost and any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Optimax help

If you are the original owner , call Mercury and explain the problem and that you just had it checked. It could have came this way from factory with a bad data buss.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury Optimax help

+1 with Fatzbullet. He knows what he's talking about.

2-3 hours labor? Last year, I saw Mercury's factory mechanic @ a Bassmaster Elite tournament replace a whole Optimax 250 XS power head AND put a new lower unit on Scott Rook's engine in less than 1 hour. For a good mechanic, they're just not that time consuming.

Just be glad your engine's running good.

FYI: I never see the inside of any boat dealership (or car dealership) unless it's a warranty repair. And, I'm not going to pay $200 for an oil change aka "yearly inspection." These engines are easy to do annual maintenance, and just about anyone should be able to maintain their outboard with the info in a Chilton Service Manual. I'm always looking for good "Indy's"--independent mechanics.

Just remember to be proactive--when you're dealing with any franchise captive service department (car or boat.) Don't fall into their profit traps.

Good luck!