First Post. Lookin to buy a brand new small 2 or 4 stroke outboard engine.

N7Quarian

Cadet
And yes I am aware that they are not making anymore 2 stroke outboards, but I'm living in Venezuela and They still sell them here and with gas costing 5 cents a gallon for 95 octane and less for 91 octane, I could care less about fuel consumption.
I am looking at purchasing a 14ft Portabote because of the portability and the fact that I don't have to buy a trailer, get a liscense for that trailer, place a trailer hitch on my Daihatsu Terios, pay a monthly fee to a marina to have them keep it, the marina might even use your bote without permission, having to worry about theives stealing your engine and MANY more reasons why I can't have anything else including Inflatibles or RIBS because the places that I will be using this bote have MANY underwater pointy dangers. I will be using this bote 80% of the time In the salt waters of Morrocoy National park, I will be using the bote to get to beaches and weave through the narrow mangroves and possibly some light scuba diving.
I'm looking for an engine that has no less than 9.9HP and I am possibly going to get a Mercury because of the number of dealerships around my area.

The maximum engine weight that the 14 ft boat can handle is 38kg.

The Mercury 9.9HP 4 stroke weighes 38.1kg

The Mercury 10HP 2 stroke Seapro weighes 34kg

And the 15HP 2 stroke Seapro weighes 34kg as well.

What would you choice be? I personally want to get as much speed out of the boat as I can.

Thanks for the help!!!

robert graham

Admiral
Re: First Post. Lookin to buy a brand new small 2 or 4 stroke outboard engine.

The 10HP Mercury 2 stroke should be great, fairly light, easy and simple to operate and maintain, plenty of dealerships and parts. Good Luck!....send us some of that cheap gas!:)

N7Quarian

Cadet

The 10HP Mercury 2 stroke should be great, fairly light, easy and simple to operate and maintain, plenty of dealerships and parts. Good Luck!....send us some of that cheap gas!:)

Ok but, Can I get the 15 HP? It weighs the same and doesnt cost that much more.

nwcove

Admiral

if the boat is rated for 15hp go for it, if not the 10 will still make you happy, stay with two stroke......less moving parts is always better if fuel economy isnt an issue. ( i am surprised that the boat is rated by the weight of the motor , and not hp?)

N7Quarian

Cadet

It actually is rated for 9.9 HP and 83 pounds, exactly the same as a new 4 stroke 9.9 Merc, I found that out by searching their website, but 2 strokes weigh lighter that that so I was curious if I could squeeze alittle more power into the boat.. Im probably just going to get the new 4 stroke because even though they still sell new 2 strokes here the production of them have gone down and id have to wait a long time before anything in my HP range would come to me (40 HP is the most common new 2 stroke here). I want to get mercury because the dealerships here are like starbucks, I have 3 dealerships and the HQ for Mercury marine where im living and 2 where I will be boating most of the time. Yamaha only has one supplier and they don't have any engines at the moment. Evinrude is to expensive and the smalles HP they have is 25.

BTW is it safe to use non-ethanol 91 Octane gas or non-ethanol 95 Octane gas? Its all we have lol.

N7Quarian

Cadet

NVM It does show a 9.9HP limitation lol, just not on that page.