MERC 3.7 Carb Question/input

chris6997zrtmod

Recruit
Just looking for some input on my 3.7 merc. This motor is in a 19ft 1986 wellcraft. Wondering about the 4 barrel carb setup. Is this worth the swap from my 2 barrel? I have been told to swap intake and carb and would see huge gains. I also have been told these setups are hard to come by. I have a chance to buy a 3.7 with the larger intake and carb . This motor was new and overturned its first trip out and spun a crank baron.Figured the pistons,rods and other parts are worth 450. Just want some feedback, as I'm ready to go through my current motor. Typical 3.7 stuff. But mostly the quart of oil it blows out in a day all over my motor due to too much base pressure is getting annoying!! Gotta love em

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: MERC 3.7 Carb Question/input

The 4bbl wasn't much good on them. It's still only half a V8, and can only suck in so much air and gas, and get rid of so much exhaust.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MERC 3.7 Carb Question/input

only a 20 h.p. gain when done by mercruiser and I think those had a different cam also. plus your fuel usage will go way up. Unless you use an adapter and go holley instead of the quadrajunk