1995 90hp Force Tilt and Trim question.

I have a 1995 90hp force I have had issues with the tilt and trim. I am finally able to address the problem, but I want to know what it is before a do anything. Basically, the motor with trim down at a smooth pace with no problem. On the other hand, when I try to trim the motor up it acts like it doesn't want to come up. I eventually comes up, but it takes forever to do so. It does not come up near as smooth as it goes down. Would this have anything to do with the haudralic fluid? If so how do I add the fluid, what kind, and how much?

Thanks guys

RRitt

Captain
Re: 1995 90hp Force Tilt and Trim question.

sounds more like an old motor with oil (or rust) in brushes than low fluid. 1995 did not have debris filter so remote possibility of debris problem. but that would likely cause more serious problem than described. sounds like motor that water oil oil go into.

raise engine fully and block into place. remove filler cap and look inside reservoir with small flashlight. oil should be just at or below lip of filler hole. never check fluid in a down or partially lowered position. always have engine fully lifted and then resting on block (or tilt lock).

It seemed to be a low fluid problem! Thanks. I have one more question. The motor is having trouble idoling. It will sometimes and won't sometimes. And when it does idol, it does NOT idol smoothly. What causes this?

RRitt

Captain

i just do hydraulics. keep your eye on your trim. I think low fluid is probably more of a symptom than a cause.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

There could be any number of things that can cause these motors to run badly. As a rule of thumb first do a comp. test and spark test on all cylinders. Problems could also be fuel related as well. Post your new question on a new thread with the year, make of your motor, and horse power, there will be others that can help as well and starting a new thread with this question will get you better results.