1989 Evinrude 70hp cylinder block

blh6643

Recruit
I'm new to this forum. My 1989 Evinrude 70hp power head cylinder block is badly scored in the center cylinder. It has been bored once before and repaired. I would like to know if the cylinders can be bored and fitted with a sleeve and standard pistions installed. If so, where can sleeves be purchased. Thanks for any help.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 Evinrude 70hp cylinder block

I'm not too sure you can get sleeves. Bring it to a shop and get them to check how bad the scoring is. If it has been re done before maybe it only went to 0.20 and maybe now you only want to go to 0.30/0.40. A few maybe's in there but you'd never know.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I 2nd that , get a machine shop to see if there is any more room for honing/boring. To sleeve that block would more than likely cost more than the entire setup is worth IMO.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I'd ask a Bombardier dealer about any past service upgrades that may have been issued for that year's 3-cylinder engine. Seems they had a service modification related to the cooling system about that time. One of those bulletin items may have related to the configuration of the telltale hose routing.

blh6643

Recruit

Thanks to all who replied. At least I have options. Next move is to find a good machine shop in my area. Special thanks to daselbee for the Advanved wed site. I've been working a lot of OT and haven't had spare time. I hope to make some headway soon. Thanks again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The tell tail or pisser hose was routed to the top of the block to get all the aireated water out of the block. Those mtrs had a habit of burning up # 2 cyl.

blh6643

Recruit

Thanks boobie, I would like to have some detailed info about the re-route modification if anyone can direct me to a source.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Contact your local Bombardier dealer, or call the Bombardier factory customer service hotline 847-689-7090.

blh6643

Recruit

Thanks retiredfornow. Good info, as I will do the modification while I have the motor tore down for cylinder repairs. No.2 piston has a nasty hole burned on the exhaust port side. I will probably do away with the VRO if anyone has info on the conversion to pre mix only.
Thanks again.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

for modifications on the water system for 70hp read my threads , great improvement they do have a problem with the water system like some folks pointed out especially round the center port , i do agree with them

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

for modifications on the water system for 70hp read my threads
They wont work on this block as its a lost foam cast block. That block should also have the bridged port exhaust and the bridges need a slight mod to keep from scuffing exhaust side of piston.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

They wont work on this block as its a lost foam cast block. That block should also have the bridged port exhaust and the bridges need a slight mod to keep from scuffing exhaust side of piston.

was that true for the 1988 versions. I have an 88 70 hp ready to reassemble. Id want to make sure i did all I could to make sure it doesnt experience overheating issues.

bob

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

1987-1992 60/70hp used the "bridged" exhaust as the others use a 3 port oval, the port mod is real easy if you haven't honed block yet. Basically you want to take some 180 wet/dry and sand the bridge so its a tad oversize. This mod was from Riverside which used to be the factory reman operation for BRP/OMC. I know a lot of the rebuilders and they do this mod so wont be any warranty issues.

blh6643

Recruit

I'm sorry I've been slow to reply to those who have posted to this thread. I really appreciate all the good info forwared to me. I had to put repairs on hold for a while, but ready to get back on track. I have printed out all the web addresses for the fixes I need. I hope this
thread has helped others. It is really nice to have such fine support from other boaters. Again, thanks to all.