Homemade Lower unit tester

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I been pricing these and looking at some homemade ones. Don't like hoses or any thing that could leak and this is what I come up with. Hope it works. Finished out with a 3/8 -16 thread for my merc crusier. Got a total of around 16.00 in it.

2012-01-29_17-37-13_308.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Homemade Lower unit tester

Ayuh,... Pretty Cool,....

cr2k

Captain

One hose would have 2 fittings, you have several there. That said it looks good. When tight in the drive will you be able to see the dial? That's the advantage of a hose. Plus you gotta be using really crappy hose to leak at 10 PSI.

Friscoboater

Captain
I had to make one too. I like yours better though.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327892312.915750.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327892312.915750.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0

fishrdan

Admiral

Looks like it should work nice!

How are you going to do the vacuum test? (IE: like the combo gauge Frisco has on his tester.)

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like it should work nice!

How are you going to do the vacuum test? (IE: like the combo gauge Frisco has on his tester.)

Well a lot of manuals from Merc doesn't call for vacuum but just pressure. Saying vacuum is a big chance of damage. So figured I wouldn't try it. I do have a vacuum I could use.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to make one too. I like yours better though.

Looks good too! I was just trying to absorb as much chance as I could of leaks. The pipe to pipe with Teflon tape leaves little chance of a leak. And no clamps to loosen or hoses to rot. Now if I find I have a problem with the direction the gauge is facing i'll add a swivel to it. As it is, its a nice neat package and solid. How it works remains to be seen,but don't figure it will have a problem.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That's pretty nice. Thanks for posting it up.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Viper, I think it looks well constructed and your points are well founded. Also like that very small incremental psi gauge. Looks like it would be very accurate. Thanks for posting your efforts.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did make one mistake. I used a Pipe nipple on end. I ordered a male 3/8 pipe to a male 3/8 -16 thread for 1.00 today to fix it.Will take the nipple back and end up being a dollar cheaper. LOL

Friscoboater

Captain

I have read that the Vacuum test is not a good ida also. As long as you hol 8 to 10 psi you are good. Another thing you might want to do is add an o ring at the end where it attaches to the drive. Mine was leaking there, but once I added the oring, I was good

Bondo

Staff member

I have read that the Vacuum test is not a good ida also.

Ayuh,.... Where'd ya hear that,..??

The vacuum test is 1/2 of the drive case pressure test....

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what the marina says." If you have a MerCruiser they do not use a vacuum test. There yoke seal is not a back to back seal so it will not hold vacuum."

Bondo

Staff member

From what the marina says." If you have a MerCruiser they do not use a vacuum test. There yoke seal is not a back to back seal so it will not hold vacuum."

Ayuh,... Funny that the Mercruiser factory shop manuals go into great detail in explainin' How to do the Vacuum test....

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... Funny that the Mercruiser factory shop manuals go into great detail in explainin' How to do the Vacuum test....
Yes they said the shop manuals say that. But the mercury tech manuals from merc dont. So Im not sure as i never seen an original tech manual.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes they said the shop manuals say that. But the mercury tech manuals from merc dont. So Im not sure as i never seen an original tech manual.

The Mercury OB manuals do show a pressure test, but nothing about a vacuum test. Mercruiser OEM service manuals don't even talk about a pressure test, let along a vacuum test. They can be done, but on Mercruiser the input shaft seal is a one way seal (as mentioned earlier) and will not hold much vacuum at all before sucking air. I feel lucky if I can get between 5 and 10 inches of vacuum.
The vacuum test however, will not damage anything. I have used it several times to find problem leaks. It helps if you have a pivoting drive stand so you can fill the input shaft seal of the Mercruiser drives with thick gear oil so you can find leaks from other places because the heavy oil prevents the input shaft from leaking (Until the oil is gone).

Personally, I would use a hose to hook it to the drive. If leaks was my concern, I sure wouldn't have used teflon tape on my fittings, and when hooked to the drive and pressurized, check the gauge fittings and connections with soapy water, just like you do the drive.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well as far as I have read the lube does build a small amount of pressure in lower unit. I have yet to hear of any vacuum and can't think of how there could be.But I am no tech for merc so really dont know. Just trying thats all. But thanks for the comments. Always glad to hear different ideas and opinion. Gives me more to research.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the drive, or lower unit leaks oil out as it heats up, when it cools down, it will suck air back in, unless it's underwater, then it sucks water in as it cools. But that usually shows up on a pressure check.
I don't even use a vacuum check unless I find an outdrive or lower unit that gets water in it, but always passes a pressure check.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... My Bad viper1,... yer Right, I'm not.....:facepalm:

My apology,...