Has any one qhohoged?

i was planing on qhohoging this year but i need some advise how to set up my boat for it. any tips please?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Has any one qhohoged?

this is also called clam fishing.

lets try and keep this to technical info about a proper set up please guys.

thanks all,.....I appreciate it.

cheers
oops

don sorry your wrong about that. you get a bull rake and fish for them off the side of your boat. you get a lot every rake full ive bin talking to my buddy to give me some tips.

Bondo

Staff member

They are Quahogs, not Qhohogs, http://seagrant.gso.uri.edu/factsheets/fsquahog.html

You don't fish for them from a boat, you go to a sandy beach, at low tide and dig them out of the sand with a shovel.

Ayuh,.... Over in his neck of the water, they slosh around in knee deep water, diggin' clams with a fork, 'n tossin' 'em into their boat, they're pushin' around in front of themselves...

no i mean like 20'30' waters with long pipe rake on the bottom of pipe and hangle on the top

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it seems to me that a better catch would be done with bond-s set up or don's

sbl......do your buddies get a boat full this way.....or just some on the bottom of the boat?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

no i mean like 20'30' waters with long pipe rake on the bottom of pipe and hangle on the top

Do you have a boat big enough to handle a pipe rake with a 20 or 30 ft hangle on it?

Ned L

Commander

Oh, I will have ato say that SBL is correct on this one. In R.I. (Narragansett Bay) quahoging is done with bullrakes that have handles up to 30' long (sectional that screw/locks together). You let the skiff blow down wind while getting into rhythmic pattern of pulling on the handle of the rake, using the weight & momentum of the skiff to move the rake anong the bottom. There are quite a few guys that make their living this way. - Years ago when East Greenwich Bay was opened up to quahoging for the first time in years someone I was in college with bougth a brand new Chevy pickup with cash earnings from 8 weeks of quahoging.

thanks ned i was wondering diffrent setups for the boat for this and yes i hear you can make enough money to get by, by doing this. It's be a great summer job.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I would suggest trying to go along w a local clammer a time or 2 to see what you would need to start you own operation. I hear the competition can be fierce or ugly w the lobstermen up your way and wonder if the "newclammers" are similarly shuned or harassed? Clamming in N.C. is much easier. 30+ yrs. ago we just wore old sneakers to keep the Oysters and crabs from hurtin your feet, and shuffled along the bottom in low tide in water 1 to 4' deep. You can feel the clams just under the bottom and simply reach down and pull them out of the mud/sand. We often loaded a 16' jonboat w hundreds of lbs. in a few hours. We made some $$ but we ate alot of the profit also!!;)

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Quahoging on Cape Cod. Family fun to be sure. Then you go back to the house and grill 'em up. Oh heck yeah.

DSC00188.jpg

PSG-1

Seaman

Here in SC, some people use bull rakes, walking around in waist-deep water. Some people use clam rakes along sandy or muddy banks.

My favorite method is simply feeling around with my hands, and pulling them out.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a boat big enough to handle a pipe rake with a 20 or 30 ft hangle on it?

The size of the boat is not critical. The way its done is there is a float on the handle and as the rake is pulled in the handle arcs over the other side of the boat. When the handle reaches the water, the float keeps it afloat. The long pipe/handle is somewhat flexible.

I have seen it done many times in Oyster Bay, New York (Long Island) but never worked it myself.