Transom Bracket Installation

tombowman45

Recruit
I recently purchased an inboard to outboard conversion deckboat. Transom and hull are solid and it appears the conversion work was professionally done. The old outboard and bracket was apparently parted out, and I was wondering what should I expect to pay a marine repair shop to install a transom bracket, mount and rig a 70-90 hp outboard. This would not include the cost of the outboard motor. Attached is a transom shot of my boat. Thanks for your help.5L45G15S13Lf3I63J1c1e6d3cc5341cb119f2 (300x225).jpg

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Transom Bracket Installation

Looks as though they had a jack plate on there at one time. You can order one from several different resouces and install it yourself. I personally like the CMC's but Bobs Machine makes a good one and the Panther isn't too bad either. It all depends on the options you want. I always went with the hydraulic lift so I could change the engine height on the fly without breaking out the wrenches.

I would recommend no more than a 5"-6" setback since it was an inboard before and the hull may be designed for a prop set under the hull. There make be a hook designed into the hull and any more setback could result in cavitation problems, (mostly on turns). Even without a hook, 5-6 inch setbacks are the most common unless your hull has a pad like a lot of bass boats do.

Side note: I recomend an udjustable height jack plate because this was an inboard and you can't be sure that the engine height is going to be correct until you get the motor on there and take it for a few test rides. You might get it close but 1/2" might make a difference. I think it's wiser to pay for the option now.

tombowman45

Recruit

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering what I might expect to pay a shop to do this repair? Thanks again

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering what I might expect to pay a shop to do this repair? Thanks again

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

We don't even know where yer at,...
We also have No Idea of exactly what's good, what's bad, or what's Missin'...

Call around to shops in yer area, 'n Ask Them....

This is a site more geared to help folks fix Their Own boats,...
Not so much Guessin' what it might cost to fix a boat somewhere on the planet, with Unknown issues...

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here in central PA I would expect to pay from $200 to $500 for the bracket and an additional $200 or so to get it mounted. The going rate is around $75 an hour for shop time. That would be an independant service guy, the dealers will be higher. I picked up a manual jackplate that would be similar to what you need, with 5" offset and 5" adjustment for around $125 last year. It turned out to not be what I needed so I sold it, they are available on ebay, clist, etc.

My best guess, depending on the bracket/jackplate $400 to $1000 to have the boat ready to hang the motor on, about $200 of that being labor.

Keep in mind that the engine you choose is going to somewhat dictate what you use for a bracket. You will have to offset it enough to allow the engine to swing up and clear the stern of the boat.

I also would think long and hard about whether 90 hp is enough for the hull, very few I/O boats have under 120 hp. That looks like a big hull, what length is it?

Bond-o posted while I was typing but I have to agree with him, there are a ton of things we don't know about your boat, and any guess you get is really that, just a guess.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

It's not a very hard job to do.

Why not just do it yourself?