My Starcraft PM160 thread!

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
Just picked up a 1983 Starcraft PM160 with a 70HP Mercury motor. Boat is in pretty good shape. A couple systems new to me that I'm not familiar with at all. One being power tilt/trim. That Merc 70 has two hydraulic cylinders on each side connected to a pump. Everything works, but the hoses are dry rotted. Going to replace those ASAP. The other system I'm not familiar with is the livewell with aeration. There are some controls on the side of the console that don't seem to do anything. I know theres a valve near the rear that I assume shuts the water off to the livewell/baitwell.
Also going to work on the electrical and maybe refurbish the console. Not going for a complete resto right off the bat unless its necessary. P/O said he just re-did the floor. Not sure of his exactly technique outside of "using that bondo type stuff" which I then clarified as Resin. So he may have glassed something I'm not sure. He said all the floatation foam was nice and dry so, I'm not too worried about the floor right now. The wood in the transom is definitely weathered and starting to rot.. I'm sure it could use replacing but isn't falling apart or anything.

I can't wait to really start tearing into the wiring and making sure everything there is solid. Rivets all look ok except one where he said he drilled the wrong one, then proceeded to put a bolt through it and siliconed it. I'm going to end up re-doing that with some 5100 sealant or the equiv.

Here's a few pics.
IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

Last edited:

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: My Starcraft PM160 thread!

Welcome to the Starmada. Looks like you got a good one to work with. You might consider an aluminum weld to replace that bolt depending on where and what it looks like. Post away....

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a boat like this. It was much better than you would think. I'm sure the switches were installed to provide power to different fixtures. I recommend starting by labeling the switches that you do know. IE Lights, bilge pump, dash lights, horn etc. Then, trace the wires on those switches that you don't know. They might lead to the live well pump.

In any used boat, thoroughly inspect your thru hulls, bilge pumps, safety gear and such. Test all components on the trailer thoroughly, even the engine before putting the boat in the water. Make sure you understand your GPS and the maps are right. Sorry, no instant gratification til you're safe...

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

I had a boat like this. It was much better than you would think. I'm sure the switches were installed to provide power to different fixtures. I recommend starting by labeling the switches that you do know. IE Lights, bilge pump, dash lights, horn etc. Then, trace the wires on those switches that you don't know. They might lead to the live well pump.

In any used boat, thoroughly inspect your thru hulls, bilge pumps, safety gear and such. Test all components on the trailer thoroughly, even the engine before putting the boat in the water. Make sure you understand your GPS and the maps are right. Sorry, no instant gratification til you're safe...
Completely agree. As soon as it hit the driveway, all hatches came open and all items came out for a good inspection. So far on my list to replace are the trim hoses(dry rot), the battery cabled coming from starting battery(cracked/dry rotted), and fix my compass. I'll do as you suggest and label what I do know. There is a bit of annotation under the console so I'll match that up as well. What do I look for when inspecting the thru-hulls? They seem tight and flat. I don't think I detected any sort of sealer on the white pvc connection you see there to the left of the motor. Here's a couple pics of the stern.

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

Those to the right of the motor look like they could need some attention. Going to clean up that wiring as well. I'm gonna take a few shots of the transom wood tonight. I'm pretty sure its going to need some attention as well. How tough of a job is that on a tinny?

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

How about a vent for the gas tank? I didn't see one. The previous owner said there were issues getting gas into the tank and it shots back out which sounds like an obstructed vent to me. Has the build in gas tank in the rear. Fuel fill is on the Port side of the boat.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I located the vent. I unhooked it at the thru-hull fitting up front and blew through the hose and it seemed blocked. Or at least very little flow. So I cut the line about 3 ft from the tank and blew back to the front and it seemed to flow much better. Also blew into tank and I could hear gas bubbling. Should the vent be into the gas like that? Does that mean the tank is too full?
The P/O told me that fueling was a 2 person operation with a can + funnel so I figured the vent was clogged. Or is there something else I should be looking at?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

If its the kind of vent I have on my 22 holiday you can blow from the tank side to the outside but not from the outside to the tank. That keeps the fumes out and also the water from getting into the fuel supply. It supposed to work the way you found it ME THINKS

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

If its the kind of vent I have on my 22 holiday you can blow from the tank side to the outside but not from the outside to the tank. That keeps the fumes out and also the water from getting into the fuel supply. It supposed to work the way you found it ME THINKS
I gotcha. We'll shucks. I'll ask in the repair section to make sure. I need to be able to fuel the thing without gas rushing back out at me! haha :)

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Any tips on this fuel vent? I'm trying to research now. Its a bit too long to snake with some weed eater line but I may be able to get a wire snake through it.

barato2

Commander

i'd be cautious snaking it if there is a one-way valve in there....

hey, and welcome to the tin mob!

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

i'd be cautious snaking it if there is a one-way valve in there....

hey, and welcome to the tin mob!
I can pretty easily blow out towards the thru-hull fitting, and back into the tank from about 3ft out. So I don't think theres a valve. I ran a think steel stranded cable through as well as I could last night and blew through everything I could. I think I'm just going to stick it back together and see what happens unless someone has a better idea.

And thanks! Glad you guys would have me! :)

barato2

Commander

is it possible there's some sort of kink or obstruction in your filler hose? i really don't see a clogged vent causing the gas splashing back in your face until the tank is near maxed out, and even then, doubt that the gas dock hose fits so tightly in the filler neck that displaced air can't escape.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

is it possible there's some sort of kink or obstruction in your filler hose? i really don't see a clogged vent causing the gas splashing back in your face until the tank is near maxed out, and even then, doubt that the gas dock hose fits so tightly in the filler neck that displaced air can't escape.
I didn't snake the fill hose. I'll try that. Its pretty thick though so it'd be one heck of an obstruction heh. My understanding was this condition, of not being able to fuel up properly, was because the gas could not displace the air in the tank because of improper venting and would thus come spraying back out. I just have to go run some gas out and try to refuel. I'm not sure about the gas gauge yet. The P/O said it doesn't work. Its reading 3/4 tank though. I'm starting to wonder why they ran the vent hose all the way to the front of the console? Why didn't they vent it out the transom or somewhere in the rear?

Also wondering if anyone knows where I can get a windshield for my console? Looks like it had one at one time.

barato2

Commander

for windshield, get some 3/16" Lexan etc at Lowe's and bend it to shape after softening with a heat gun, using pipe or conduit for a bending form to get a neat bend. sounds tough but it's not (hardest part is cutting and drilling the stuff)(i've made several motorcycle windshields this way), and the stuff is cheap enough that if you botch it, you can always use the first effort for a cutting board and try over. you probably only need it bent at 2 90-degree angles to wrap around sides of console and give it strength.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

for windshield, get some 3/16" Lexan etc at Lowe's and bend it to shape after softening with a heat gun, using pipe or conduit for a bending form to get a neat bend. sounds tough but it's not (hardest part is cutting and drilling the stuff)(i've made several motorcycle windshields this way), and the stuff is cheap enough that if you botch it, you can always use the first effort for a cutting board and try over. you probably only need it bent at 2 90-degree angles to wrap around sides of console and give it strength.
I'll keep this in mind thank you.

How about the floor drain? Right now, it looks like the P/O replaced the floor with some 3/4 resined plywood. Looks like they just screwed the drain cover to the wood. Didn't actually cut a drain. How do these drain out? Am I going to have to tear the floor back out?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've never seen a floor drain on an SC. The deck shouldn't come flush to the hull sides so there is drainage there, and also, the area in the back around the knew brace/ bilge pump is usually open.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

I've never seen a floor drain on an SC. The deck shouldn't come flush to the hull sides so there is drainage there, and also, the area in the back around the knew brace/ bilge pump is usually open.
Hmm ok. Well, yeah I can pull the carpet back up front and can definitely see some gap. So the water drains off, then does what? I can run all the back to the bilge area? I wonder why he screwed that drain to the floor then. Hmm. Well I'm considering pressure washing the carpet since I have the seats out and don't want to flood the boat.

barato2

Commander

hey MB, i just noticed in the Cabela's catalog last night that they have premade plexi windshields, if you don't want to go the roll yer own route. smoke tint too, altho you can get the raw sheets in smoke tint from Aircraft Spruce.

the way the water drains back towards the stern is through a series of "limber holes", which are just areas at the center of the bilge where each rib is raised a little bit off the hull so water can get past them. if they clog up due to leaves crud etc, can be a big hassle....another reason to cover your boat.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Couple questions for you folks. Theres a momentary switch in the rear. Heres a pic:
IMG_0418.JPG

Had a piece of tape with a faded "bilge pump" but I can't imagine why that would be wired to the bilge pump? I was guessing from the wires coming off maybe it was for a light? I'm stumped.
I have also since swept all that garbage out of the bilge area. Kinda gross!

Also, have any of you hung a kicker from the transom on a boat like this? I have a merc 7.5 tiller I'd love to use for trolling. Get an ez-steer setup and another small gas tank for it and hang it somehow. I think I have enough room back there??