4.3L Cobra

cardell

Recruit
New to boating.Engine boggs when put into forward or reverse. When I just throw it into WOT, it takes off fine. Only when I slowly put it into gear it boggs down. Doesn't matter when put into reverse, it boggs no matter how much throttle you give it.

lowshovel1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4.3L Cobra

from nuetrel to forward or reverse it is set up to drop rpms.keeps ya from killing drive system. (if I read your post right)

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could be a sticky choke. When you go straight to WOT, the choke unloader would force it open. Otherwise it'd have to open normally. Check the choke position as you start up and when accelerating slowly vs going WOT fast.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I'm reading this as lowshovel, it stumbles while your shifting? If so its supposed to.<br />Actually its suppose to stumble so the gears will release when your going into neutral. Theres switches and a module setup to do this.<br />Do you have a operators manual? Might be a good idea to read through one so you can become familiar with your beasts temperment.<br />
When I just throw it into WOT, it takes off fine.
You don't do this from neutral do you? :eek:

cardell

Recruit

Yes I do it from neutral. I can't just slowly move the throttle from gear to gear. The throttle has has to be thrown into gear. If I do it slowly, it bog down and stall. Is it bad to do this from neutral?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think there is a problem with terminology, along with how you guys thing the shift interrupt system should work.<br />First of all bogging usually means when you give it throttle, it makes more noise but no more speed or rpm. Dying is when the engine stops running. Like when you shut the ignition off and the engine stops running.<br />Now, the shift interrupt system should do NOTHING when putting the drive into gear ..... NOTHING.<br />It only comes into effect when removeing the drive from forward or reverse back into neutral.<br />The dog clutch is reverse cut to hold it into gear. When you move the shifter to neutral, the shift interrupt system (aka ESA on Cobras) kills the ignition to some cylinders so the engine hiccups allowing the reverse cut gears to disengage. Then almost without notice you are in neutral and the engine is still running.<br />Now, if your engine is dying everytime you put it in gear, then you probably have a binding shift cable from the engine to drive. They don't last for ever and it's a common problem and fixed by installing a new cable.<br /><br />Read this for some more ESA and Cobra info.<br /> http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/index.html

SeaSkwurrel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It must be quite a ride going from neutral to WOT suddenly! How's your neck?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Suggest you bookmark the link Don posted and/or print out the material it contains & links to. It will prove invaluable if you're gonna keep your Cobra for awhile.<br /><br />Also suggest you get the OMC Service Manual and the OMC Parts manual (can usually find 'em on eBay). Definitely worth investing in the OMC manuals instead of buying a Clymers or Seloc.