johnson 6hp fast idling

p40

Recruit
Hello all

I have a 6hp Johnson 2 stroke outboard (1993) that i am re commisioning after a long layoff.

The idle is way fast and I would like to ask if anyone would know how to adjust it and or fix this issue. The mix ratio is proper 50:1...

Thanks for help

kfa4303

Banned
Re: johnson 6hp fast idling

Hi p40. Although, I'm not familiar with your particular motor, it sounds like you may need to adjust the slow speed needle on the carb a bit. Generally, speaking, high idles are due to an overly lean condition which causes the motor to combust its fuel faster and more violently thereby raising the rpms. Here's a link that may help you get it dialed in just right. If the adjustments don't work, you may need to clean/rebuild the carb, which is always a good idea after a motor has been sitting a while. You can also check the idle set screw. It's usually on the right side of the motor at the base of the vertical throttle tower. Twisting the screw in raises the rpms by advancing the timing, while screwing out lowers the prms by retarding the timing. You can get a carb rebuild kit right here at iboats should you need one. Cheers.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the older motors, the knob on the front of the engine adjusts the mixture. There is a screw on the carb linkage/ Advance that adjusts the idle speed. With the cover off, you can see the carburator. As you twist the throttle, you can see the gears/cables turn the throttle plate/ Advance . There should be a screw that sets the idle stop/ advance.

On another matter, be careful with the older Johnsons. The modern alcohol/ Techlorine type fuels eat up the rubber in the hoses, fuel pumps and carbs. This will lead to problems when underway.

Here's one type of adjustment:

6q8a9w.jpg

raczekp1

Lieutenant

idle control is on the end of twist grip.there is small knob that you can set up fast idle or slow

foto is taken from Wissner ramblings

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • rh%20side.jpg
    rh%20side.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0

p40

Recruit

Thank you very much all for your input...problem is solved!:)