Brought home Key West Explorer today...good and bad

BryanR

Seaman Apprentice
Bought this thing last weekend and brought her home today. Its a 1995 Key West Explorer 1500. Got a good deal, but the boat is far from perfect. Lots of cleanup to do.

First off, despite my greatest hopes, it is just a mathematical certainty that the boat wont fit in my garage. Damn! I really wanted to store it out of the elements. Next best thing is to keep it in the fenced back yard. However, little did I know that the hil right outside the gate causes the trailer to bottom out....so I cant even put the thing back there. I am research quotes now to have a wide gate installed at another part of the fence so I can get the boat back there.

Which brings me to my question of boat covers. I need a good boat cover that will keep the uv and rain off the boat. Id like the motor protected as well. Should I get a custom fitted (more money) or a universal? Should I get a separate engine cover or a universal that isnseveral feet longer than the hull to allow enough slack to cover motor too?

Went to bass pro this evening and bought $150 of cleaning stuff. Lots of yellow staining on the hull. Got starbrite and marykate to try.

Also, after inspecting more thoroughly, there is going to be a need for some gelcoat repairs at some point. What prices does this work run? Hypothetically, what ballpark cost would it takes to regel the entire inside of this 15 foot boat and just touch up a few spots on the outside? We talking a few hundred or much more?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Brought home Key West Explorer today...good and bad

For nice mid-range cover, I'm pleased with the one I got from here: http://www.safeguardcovers.com/ For a custom cover, iboats has a heck of a selected. Would a folding trailer tongue solve your garage issue? Might be easier than messing with your gate.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check out Ebay. I pick up a heavy duty 600 cover for $60. This same cover sells for $150- $180. at Bass Pro.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

lots of covers have a pocket for the motor.

why re-gel the entire interior? Seems like a lot of work for an old boat. Just run it and enjoy it.

BryanR

Seaman Apprentice

Im still in the assessing phase. Bottom of boat is pretty caked up with stains. Starbrite is working well, but quite a chore keeping trailer clean.

Once bottom is white, Ill assess and prioritize gelcoat repairs...it will need some for sure.

Im estimating Ill have to sink another 1,000 - 1,200 bucks to get this where I want it. Still wont have a hell of a lot on it.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just spitballing here, but aren't Key West's carpet/vinyl free on the interior? If so, do you really need to cover it? Maybe just a console cover. Will save cost, and less to keep up.

Either way, congrats on the new boat. Let's see some pics!