Johnson TN28 Clutch Control

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone familiar with the TN27-28 know if I am on the right path to assembly of the clutch control? Also, where does the lock spring go (I missed buying this). If I figure out where it goes, I may have one. I am going to try to fab a handle (lever) because all I can find appears to be plastic. I am trying to revive this old beat up gem and this is the last chapter. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• upper cltch control 2.jpg
    upper cltch control 2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • upper clutch control 1.jpg
    upper clutch control 1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • clutch lever possible.JPG
    clutch lever possible.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson TN28 Clutch Control

In your first picture, see the pin that the cable goes through and is grabbed by the "claw" lever? There is a groove around the bottom of that pin. The spring hooks around that groove, and goes off to the left in the picture. I don't quite remember exactly where that end hooks, but it should be obvious. Seems like there is a hook where the outer tube is clamped (?).

Where are you finding plastic levers??? I've never seen a plastic one. Is somebody making reproduction ones out of plastic? Anyhow, there should be no shortage of the original metal ones. Put a free want ad on the classified ads pages at the Antique Outboard Club's website www.aomci.org

bonzoscott

F_R, several searches for the part number including Ebay come up with that pic. Doesn't that look like plastic? MarineEngines.com doesn't show a pic but is $40. I don't want to gamble on that. Quite a bit of tension on that pull. I will post on aomci. Thank you for your input!

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

That neutral lever from up top is not plastic, it is cast metal. The one on my TN-26 looks identical, casting flash and all.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

F_R, several searches for the part number including Ebay come up with that pic. Doesn't that look like plastic? MarineEngines.com doesn't show a pic but is $40. I don't want to gamble on that. Quite a bit of tension on that pull. I will post on aomci. Thank you for your input!

I'd be surprised if you have to pay more than $5 on aomci. Heck, those guys figure you should get a whole not-running motor for $40. (I did).

nwcove

Admiral

google "big lures little lures", you may find some of the info at that site helpful for your project.

bonzoscott

Thanks for all of the replies! Mas, I've seen your video in all my research along with numerous sites for info and parts. Early on in my project I picked up what I thought was a TN for parts from craigslist. Turns out it was a JW10. I couldn't tell much about it from the pic but once I got there, it was darn near show room material and the price was right. I wanted something that would make me learn these motors. I have 3 other motors (73 9.5hp - 73 25hp - 75 4hp) that I have never had a problem with. My TN28 tank is messed up bad with dents. The gas cap section is caved in to the point where you can't screw it all the way in AND the starter doesn't line up with one of the screws. It would probably be best to look for a parts motor but don't want to end with 3 or four motors quite yet :facepalm:

nwcove

Admiral

you dont want to end up with three or four motors??? lol......ive got bad news....or good news, depending on how you look at it. old outboards seem to multiply like mice, once you have one, more will come, and they are hard to get rid of!