1983 johnson lower unit 35hp

looking for help or tips on getting a lower unit back together i have to replace the clutch dog and forward gear i got it apart but not sure if i can get it together would be interested in trading some labor or just paying someone. i have been a carpenter for 15 years if you would like to trade. thank you all

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 1983 johnson lower unit 35hp

If you haven't gottena gear and dog yet maybe look around on Ebay for a used lower, I think they will be about the same cost and you are way better off with a factory assembed lower.

I bought A gear for my 50 a few years ago and it was @$250, a clutch dog would be @ $50-60 and I am [sure you could get a used lower for $300 or less, I got a complete lower on Ebay for $126 with a prop so they are out there.

Also put up where you live and maybe someone will take you up on your offer.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1983 johnson lower unit 35hp

Getting together is fairly simple except for the 2 detent balls and spring in the prop shaft. Either use a tie-strap to keep in place or a tube of PVC or alu with a snug fit around the prop shaft when pushing the propshaft through the dog. The next 'obstacle' will be to adjust the gear-shift by getting the lower shift rod in correct height, but that will have to wait until it is time to put the gearcase back on the leg.