Merc 650 carb removal nightmare

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Bahaha, not really a nightmare, but boy they sure do tuck those carbs in there deep don't they? Anyways I am doing a full fuel and electrical overhaul before spring, and was wondering if I could get some feedback fellas. Here is the main question. I need to remove the distributor in order to get to the carburetors. I need the timing between the flywheel (main crank) and the distributor to remain in sync. Is the best way to just put a mark on the belt and distributor pulley as well as the belt and main pulley as to know where to properly install the belt to make sure they stay in proper relation to each other? What else can I do to make this not become a timing nightmare?

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc 650 carb removal nightmare

A factory service manual would pay for itself many times over.Not a Seloc or wharever else you find,get the real thing.Ron G

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Merc 650 carb removal nightmare

A factory service manual would pay for itself many times over.Not a Seloc or wharever else you find,get the real thing.Ron G

Yeah I have one. Nevermind anyways I found the TDC mark on the flywheel, and distributor. I just set #1 cylinder at TDC and will keep everything all lined up. I just hope I dont install the new belt one tooth off. :facepalm: