Most fuel efficient 2 stroke

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking into buying a 225, 250, or 275. It's going on a 23ft center console. The boat currently has a ficht motor and is running great but before any problems occur I would rather upgrade. Which one will burn the least besides a four stroke. Looking mainly at Yamaha because of their reliability but open to all brands. What are your thoughts, opinions, and experiences?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Most fuel efficient 2 stroke

Evinrude E-TEC is probably best. Yammy HPDI would also be a good choice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Direct Injection 2 cycle motors and 4 cycle motors are most fuel efficient. I think all the major brands are probably about the same at this point in time. So do you like white, black or grey?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Go with the Merc 200 hp Pro XS (Optimax) for slightly over $12K (without controls or prep.) With the Pro XS engines, you can get away with a smaller engine because their horsepower is about 10% underrated. The 250 hp is substantially more expensive @ about $4K higher.

Merc Pro XS's are actually a very good values in outboard motors. The only drawback is not fuel mileage--but the cost of their high line outboard motor oil. In case you have not noticed, all oil products are up dramatically.

The Rooster

Ensign

Direct Injection 2 cycle motors and 4 cycle motors are most fuel efficient. I think all the major brands are probably about the same at this point in time. So do you like white, black or grey?

I'd have to agree w/ Chris. They are all so close these days. Last two boats we've had Merc. Optimax 200 - 250 Pro XS engines. Both ran very strong, were fuel efficient for what they are, came w/ 5 yr warranties, and sipped oil. They are "NOT" the most quiet engines around, but not intrusive to us. Honestly though, if that big "Ficht" engine is running strong, I'd say keep. It's a much cheaper alternative in the long run. Good luck !!!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would think it would be kind of a draw, you would have to run the smaller engine harder to get the same speed as a bigger engine at a lower rpm using less gas so in the end it would be about the same either way, I have nothing but my twisted logic to back that up but it makes sense to me.

You have to factor in cost and how close the dealer is too, if you have to drag it 1 1/2 hours to have it worked on any gas you saved on the boat is now gone getting it fixxed and if you can get one for $1500 less than another that is alot of gas.

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have heard something's about the Yamaha hpdi's being garbage. I found a 04 new power head with 30 hours and 350 total for 5500. Seams like a pretty decent deal to me. Are they terrible? Would an ox66 be a more reliable choice?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think the national surveys rate Yamaha as the #1 brand for user satisfaction. Of course, any outboard requires care and maintenance to be reliable.

You will hear individual rants about any of them, but I believe they are all pretty reliable.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The 250 and 300 HPDI where problematic to say the least. The OX66 was a lot more reliable but is a gas hog

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I think the national surveys rate Yamaha as the #1 brand for user satisfaction. Of course, any outboard requires care and maintenance to be reliable.

The last JD Power survey had Honda as the #1 4-stroke and Evinrude and the #1 2-stroke low-emission outboard. In customer satisfaction, they were only 1 or 2 points apart, not 10 or 15 points like from years ago.

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Allright. What is the best place to buy a used engine? I have been looking on THT but the majority of what they have is Verado's. I think I am leaning toward an E-Tec or a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke, or Optimax Pro XS 250

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Verado or no verado? I found a good deal on a 05 hpdi 300 and on a 275 verado. The boat it is going on though is pretty light and another owner has the 300 and cant run it at full throttle because the only thing in the water is the prop. His boat looks like a 23ft center console offshore bass boat when he gets on it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Be advised the the 250 Yammie 4 stroke requires 93 octane fuel.