Summer Fun

Banned
Re: large underwater object found. unkown origin

The Dark Side is winning. :eek:. Obi-Wan Kenobi please save us. :D

Hoobz

Cadet

That's very interesting.

Maybe we won't hear anything about it again oops because it's supposed to be the year it all ends...2012...and they go investigate it some more..tap it with a sledge hammer or something...and...

Game over :rolleyes:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Very interesting, I can't wait till they go back & check it out. (if they don't "dissappear" before then.

LK

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

[h=2]Leviathan's have been dragging that object!
[/h]

aspeck

Staff member

Knock, Knock.

Who is there?

Dwayne.

Dwayne who.

Dwayne the Baltic Sea. I am dwowning!:facepalm:

"Could this be the Star Wars Millenium Falcon, a plug to an inner world or a marine version of Stonehenge?" asks CNN's Brooke Bowman:

southkogs

Staff member

Uuuurrrggghhhhh!!!! I've been lookin' for THAT all over the place ... thanks guys! :D

chriscraft254

Commander

Spock are you in there? Many think that UFO's run on energy from the sea, so maybe:facepalm:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i think its going to take some like clive cussler to take a team and find out what it is.

out side of corporate investigation for profit in the way of tv dollars, i just dont see the public ever finding out what this is !

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do they commercial fish in the Baltic? If they do then my guess is a ship wreck that has been snagged by fishing nets. The nets dragged it some then ripped off and are attached giving the large sonar image. Probably caught more than once so there could be a lot of nets on it.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been looking into this stuff for years. Perhaps Aliens and UFOs can't always be from someone's imagination, can it..?

Canada's best recent UFO footage? "Carp Ontario Incident":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn3IvevT7QA&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL08FA0E791A1AD16F

"Real Alien" (May not be for the kids):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a02a1KtafwA&feature=related

"Is this an Alien"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Luvo6bq8DU

"Victors" little green man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlXduZeP5a0

Alien Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCt2Frq2iW8

Submarine, shark..?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCt2Frq2iW8

What is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgB7fpu2w-o

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perhaps a bit more mundane explanation; Wasn't there a satellite not too long ago that came down, and nobody seemed to be able to determine where it actually came down?
All that "advanced" technology that NASA has, and they couldn't track it to impact........TSK, TSK!

Roger

mphy98

Lieutenant

they finally found Jimmy Hoffa!!!

erikgreen

Captain

We probably won't hear about it again because it'll turn out to be nothing. I use side scan a fair bit, and you'd be surprised at how deceptive the images can be. To me, this looks a lot like a rock, and not even one shaped the way the image looks.

The horizontal lines in the display in those pics show that vertical is the time scale, IE it's a "waterfall" type display where the boat is traveling in the "vertical" direction and new lines are added at the top while the display scrolls down. Each line of pixels on the screen is probably about 1 second or so of recording time, so the display shows several minutes bottom to top. The slightly lighter horizontal lines running through it show that every 20-30 seconds something happened to make the signal a bit messier... could be anything from noise from the boat to the towfish being jerked a couple feet upward by wave swell. You can see in the image just after the "object" that the fish got tossed around quite a bit... that's all the lines compacted together.

1.jpg

(The lines I'm talking about are the gray/black ones, not the blue range lines)

Here's the thing... as the fish travels and records a line at a time, the picture we see isn't a "snapshot" but rather a composite of lines. If the fish doesn't travel (like it happens to sink or rise for some reason) the amount the boat "thinks" it did then it can record essentially the same line twice... and presto, that part of the object looks twice as wide.

Looking at the object in the image, I see many features that are repeated looking like "ridges" that are parallel to the direction the sonar traveled, kind of like pulling a comb through mud. If you take a bump or a hole on a rock and "smear" it along because your sonar recorded each inch twice, it turns into ridges like these.

Putting it another way, it's like a paper jam in your printer, where the paper either slips and doesn't move, or moves too far... you end up with overprints and gaps, because the only time you get a perfect image is when the paper moves just right... hard to do at sea, when towing your "print head" a mile down. It easy to see in a color printed image where things went wrong... much harder with a black and white image of an unknown object.

Taking a wild guess I'd say the object is only about half as "tall" as it looks proportionally, which would make it a largish oblong rock of no other interest whatsoever.

Just a quick edit: I'd say the thing actually looks much more like this than the above pic. OMG! It's a big stone statue of a bear!

2.jpg

Also, looking at the sub the guy has there, it's pretty obvious he's been planning for a while (the subs are custom built, and much more expensive than an "exploration" sub) to take paying customers into the ocean. Which is going to attract more customers for him, a sonar scan of a pile of rubble that used to be a ship, or an "unknown object" that *might* be a UFO?

Erik

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

My first thought after reading the story was, Its a clever ploy to get "funding" or donations for further "exploration" of the "mystery objects" on the bottom, or some sunken treasure. Cause we all know someone who would contribute to this type of exploration. What could it be???????????????????????:eek:;)