Help with buying new boat

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I am new to inflatables and ribs and am in need of some advice. I am looking to buy an inflatable from 11'-14' with either 15 or 25hp. I have looked at the sea eagle 14sr and many other boats. Does anyone know if sea eagle boats are good quality and if there are any brands to stay away from. Also, when buying a used boat how do you check for leaks? I want a boat that I can pull a tube behind. Do any of these boats have the transom strength to pull a tube or knee boarder?
Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with buying new boat

Sea Eagle uses plastic moulded floorboards on their 10"6, 12"6 and 14" Sport Runabout series, don't want to be mean with this brand, but their floors cracks around keel valve with time and use, have 2 in our shop for same causes, the floor lacks rigidity compared to wooden or alum panel floors. Would stay away if thinking to use in open seas, coastal cruises. Saturn, Mercury are well priced alternatives.

If possible buy new, sometimes buying used could be a pandora surprise box costly repair. If budget permits buy at least a 380 rib instead of a sib and a trailer, will handle nicely a 25 HP horse perfect for towing.

Happy Boating

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much. When I started to look at the prices I started to realize that sea eagle boats can not be the same quality of a Zodiac or Avon. I already have a trailer so that would not be a problem. I am looking to spend under $2,500 on the whole package, so used will most likely be the answer.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The price difference is mostly due to the fabric employed, Sea Eagle and standard Zodiac's are PVC, Avon is Hypalon, more costier, better material if sib will be living on water all year round. Good luck on your search for a engine/sib/rib combo on a tight budget.

Happy Boating

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi OP and all,

I know what your talking about OP, 2500 is tight budget for new goods. I tried to stay within about the same amount and in the end could'nt. New Inflatable w/a used Engine with great compression and owned by an older fisherman on a small boat. Still, in the end spent a quite a bit more. Certainly agree w/Sea Rider: 'buying a used (inflatable) could be a Pandora Surprise Box'.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If buying used, make a soappy test on all seams, valves and check for air leaks, sib/rib must be well inflated to drum sound when knocking on tubes : Very important: check general glue condition by pulling seams, floor, transom, oars, etc you don't want to be cheated like my pal buying a "inmaculate" low use 3 years old sib, to find 2 days latter on it's maiden voyage that the inflatable crap is dismantling itself because owner stored sib not properly shaded and covered and all glued parts were dried out at same time, check Seabo Inflatables thread.

Happy Boating

mpj76

Seaman Apprentice

I tried to go new and as cheap and rugged as possible. It was my first boat and I didn't want to get disappointed by spending my first season chasing problems instead of enjoying it. I ended up with a Saturn 15' aluminum floor boat, suzuki df25 4 stroke. Boat was $1500, engine was $2600. If I were in your situation, I'd probably go new on the boat and maybe a good used engine. Either way, $2500 seems pretty hard to stay within considering all the other little stuff that adds up. I tried looking at craigslist for a while and realized that going used didn't seem like too much of an advantage for saving money, especially in the longer term.