Pulling the flywheel

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It looks like my stator is bad so I need to pull my flywheel. I've put the puller on there and tried to remove the flywheel but it's on there so well that I'm afraid I'll break the bolts on the puller or strip the bolts out of the flywheel.
I'm assuming that since the flywheel is bolted to the end of the crank, I shouldn't tap it or whack it with a hammer or rubber mallet. This is a 1984 Force. 85 hp.
Any suggestions on how to get the darn thing off so I can get to the stator?????

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Pulling the flywheel

Make sure you have good quality bolts that are long enough to thread all the way down into the three holes in the flywheel. Preferably grade 8 bolts. I'm assuming that you are using a puller like the one pictured below.

STEERING_WHEEL_PULLEY_AND_FLYWHEEL_PULLER_GS.jpg

Once you get the large center bolt as tight as you can, take a good size hammer and hit hard like you are trying to drive it straight into the flywheel. This will shock the area where the flywheel and crankshaft meet and will break it free. If it doesn't pop off, try tightening the center bolt down some more and hit it again. May take several hits but it will come off. You can also take a propane torch and heat the flywheel around the center hole and try hitting the center bolt. Hitting the center bolt with a rubber mallet will not work. You need a steel hammer to do the job.

halfmoa

Ensign

Make sure you have good quality bolts that are long enough to thread all the way down into the three holes in the flywheel. Preferably grade 8 bolts. I'm assuming that you are using a puller like the one pictured below.

View attachment 130506

Once you get the large center bolt as tight as you can, take a good size hammer and hit hard like you are trying to drive it straight into the flywheel. This will shock the area where the flywheel and crankshaft meet and will break it free. If it doesn't pop off, try tightening the center bolt down some more and hit it again. May take several hits but it will come off. You can also take a propane torch and heat the flywheel around the center hole and try hitting the center bolt. Hitting the center bolt with a rubber mallet will not work. You need a steel hammer to do the job.

Soak it as well as the center bolt of the puller in lube. I like PB Blaster.

And leave the nut on but loose because when she comes off, she's coming off!

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 130506

Yes, I'm using a similar puller. I assumed I wasn't to whack it with a hammer because it's on the crank but you guys would know far better than I.
Thanks for the info.

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Soak it as well as the center bolt of the puller in lube. I like PB Blaster.

And leave the nut on but loose because when she comes off, she's coming off!

I wouldn't have thought of that. It probably would have ended up in my neighbors yard. lol.
Thanks
Now if I can figure out if it's the stator or the trigger, I'll be in good shape.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Picture 006.jpgPicture 007.jpg
Sometimes that puller works sometimes it doesn't.
Most times it strips out the bolt holes.
I always use a BIG 3 jaw puller.See pics.
Loosen the nut(don't remove)install puller.
Tighten with an impact or as tight as you can get.Then a little more.
Hit the puller bolt wiith a 2-3# hammer.KEEP HANDS AWAY!!!
If it doesn't pop off the first whack or 2 then loosen and re-tighten MORE!!!

brian66r1

Seaman

Hi.

I used a Puller like the one PNW showed and I used a pretty heavy dead blow hammer. Hit the top bolt of the puller several times and then I hit the ring gear on the flywheel a couple of softer blows form various different angles and it popped off relatively easily.

I did however have the little well where the lock nut goes filled with WD-40 or RP7 spray for a couple of days before hand.

Brian

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had to do the same as jerry,

Pulled the nut, but left it on there. Put the puller on there and hit it with my impact wrench.
Now there was pressure on it, I took a propane torch to the shaft. Once that was heated up, one quick rap on the shaft of the puller, it popped off.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Only trouble with heat is the top seal on the crank.
Too much and your replacing it along with the bad parts.

spool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When i disassembled my engine the keyway was rusted into the crank.

I used a super releasing agent, I ended up pulling the thread out of one of the bolt holes so I retapped to a larger thread and used a larger bolt,

This worked for me and the keyway so actually seized into the flywheel. it ended up jumping over the crank with the keyway still attached.