1994 Suzuki DT8C No cooling water

Kyleb100

Cadet
I purchased a boat recently that came with a 1994 DT8C. Before running it I replaced the impeller and then I had issues with the shift linkage after replacing it, so I brought it to a reputable dealer mechanic. They fixed the shift issue and confirmed that I installed the new impeller correctly. The next issue that came up is that it won't pump water out the tell tale and the over temp alarm comes on. He checked for plugged lines and also pulled the lower unit a couple more times to look for anything out of the ordinary. He has come to the conclusion that the tube in the drive shaft housing going to the power head is more than likely the problem. He said it is either cracked or separated and the power head would need to be pulled to access it. The mechanic offered to work on it free of charge when they have down time in the shop, which I feel was a hell of a nice offer but I am rather impatient. So my questions are:

Can the drive shaft housing be removed without actually having to separate the power head from the lower housing?
Could the thermostat be stuck and not providing adequate cooling water? If the thermostat was stuck closed, should I still be seeing water out the tell tale? Any other recommendations on what to look for?

Thanks