2004 4.3L Mercruiser Power steering is very stiff

bgriffi87

Recruit
I just bought a 2004 byliner 185 with a 4.3L Mercruiser Alpha one outdrive. Upon test driving it I noticed the steering was very stiff but still functioning. I am able to turn the wheel hard both directions and the boat will respond however the power steering doesn't seem to be assisting. I bought the boat anyway and am trying to sort out the issue. The pump fluid is up and doesn't smell burnt. The belt is in tack and Im assuming the pump is fine. Is there any grease fittings in the steering mechanism? Thoughts? Thanks.

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: 2004 4.3L Mercruiser Power steering is very stiff

Replace the cable & the helm. You can buy them here. Pull the old cable first to get the correct length.
Fasten a string to the cable end for reinstalling.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's probably froze up where the steering cable goes through the aluminum tube in the PS cylinder. Common problem.
Disconnect the large cable nut that attaches the cable to the cylinder and see if the steering turns easily.

farmer9009

Seaman

I second what Don S stated. Most likely you need to pull the end out of the tube and clean the tube and the shaft. Then grease it up good and put it back together. This is a common problem. Also welcome.
stiff.jpg

bgriffi87

Recruit

That image you are showing, Farmer9009 that nut comes off the end, then remove the pin on the other, at this point the unit should slide through the aluminum casing and away from steering cable?

I will give it a shot and try and lubricate it up.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

That image you are showing, Farmer9009 that nut comes off the end, then remove the pin on the other, at this point the unit should slide through the aluminum casing and away from steering cable?

Ayuh,... That's correct...

bgriffi87

Recruit

So I took the pin out unscrewed the nut. This allowed me to pull the steering cable free. I noticed the cable was still as resistent to turn even without a drive to rotate. I greased it up well and put it back together. I fired the boat up and couldn't get the power steering to kick in. The only change I noticed was a squeal from the pump if I had the wheel turned hard one way. Thoughts? Thanks.

cr2k

Captain

Your cable needs to be replaced. That old you should probably check in to a cable/helm combo.