Trim pump reservoir leak?

c03camson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good day,

Stopped by the boat today where its being stored just to make sure its all good.. look in the engine bay and it looks like trim fluid was leaking down to the bilge. Did not appear to be coming from the hoses.

Just wondering if there is any common leak spots on a reservoir or pump. Was in a hurry so didnt have time to look at it and wont be able to for a while so doing research as well as talkin to you fellas.

Another thing is I have been using ACF50 to prevent corrosion and wonder if maybe it ate away at an o-ring or something. I did notice that it eats away at paint.

Thanks!

03 merc 5.0MPI alpha 1 gen2 245hrs.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Trim pump reservoir leak?

Depends on what pump you have. Replacing the reservoir is not uncommon. They do crack.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

look in the engine bay and it looks like trim fluid was leaking down to the bilge.

How do you know that it was "trim fluid", and not engine oil. The trim pumps use 10W40 oil if you don't have the proper Quicksilver brand, which also is the color of engine oil. And how do you "Research" a leak without actually finding out what is leaking first :confused:

c03camson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My research consisted of looking in the manual and figuring out where the o-rings and seals are and just looking at all the components and procedure of removing and replacing. I also wanted to look on here and see if there are any common places that they leak from such as the reservoir or the seal where the pump mates to the reservoir.

The leak is coming from the trim pump area because i can see fluid building up under it, then there is a trail of it down in the bilge and into a small puddle.

I cleaned all the fluid up and will check back tmorrow to pinpoint the leak and go from there. I appreciate the input so far

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the most likley cause is a crack in the plastic bottle

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

My trim pump reservoir exhibited this symptom. On some models, the "older" style reservoir is held on by one screw through a hole in the bottom of the reservoir. The penetration is sealed with an o-ring, but over time (my was twenty years old), the plastic develops spider cracks. The older style plastic reservoir is obsolete, but you can still find them on the internet. The recommended fix is to outfit your system with a new-style pump and top-mounted reservoir. This can cost some $$ but will eliminate the bottom screw leak scenario.