Anti fouling paint, making higher

Doin Nothin

Cadet
When the previous owner of my boat applied bottom coat they did not paint high enough on the hull. I need to paint the boat about three inches higher than what it is.<br />I know I have to sand with 80 grit to roughen up the gelcoat so the paint will adhere. Can I then apply the antifouling paint directly to the hull, or should it be repainted first with an epoxy paint. Will roughing up the Gelcoat and just painting with anti fouling paint open me up for an osmosis problem.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anti fouling paint, making higher

You should apply a marine primer first.<br /><br />Any marine paint guide will state this but I'd suggest you pick paint and primer from the same mfg.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Anti fouling paint, making higher

you need to know what type of paint is on there now. i would recommend using a high quality ablative paint if possible. you are correct- you want to rough the surface and clean it well prior to application. don't always have to use primer. i use interlux micron csc, which doesn't require a primer. highly recommended- goes on easy and smooth, lasts a full season or more, and provides excellent protection from fouling and slime.