Sea water pump bearing removal

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im trying to get the bearing carrier off of the harmonic balancer to replace the bearing in the sea water pump. Engine is an AQ231A. Problem is the 5/16 Allen wrench just spins the crankshaft instead of the bolts to break them free. I tried putting the boat in gear but the crank still rotates and i still can't get them out. Any suggestions?

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sea water pump bearing removal

Im trying to get the bearing carrier off of the harmonic balancer to replace the bearing in the sea water pump. Engine is an AQ231A. Problem is the 5/16 Allen wrench just spins the crankshaft instead of the bolts to break them free. I tried putting the boat in gear but the crank still rotates and i still can't get them out. Any suggestions?
Are you saying that the wrench and bolt wants to turn the crankshaft?
Putting the drive in gear won't help with the Cone Clutch, it will slip no matter what.
Try enough force to get them to free up. Maybe gently tap on the wrench to shock the bolt.
If you ruin the hex sockets you may end up cutting into the housing to remove the hex heads. Then remove the pump drive housing, and then what's left of the three bolts one at a time.
The Johnson crankshaft pumps complete are about $140-160 or so and will give you new everything: housing, bearing, body, cam, impeller, etc.
The mounting bolts are much shorter than what the longer OEM AQ231A pump body requires, but should not be an issue.
[3/8" NF grade #8]

98579F-t.jpg

JOP10242281.jpg

7956.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Remove a spark plug, 'n feed in the end of a piece of soft rope....
It'll stop the motor from turnin'...

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I'm able to rotate the motor trying to turn those bolts, must be seized in the pretty good! Where have you seen the complete pumps for that price? I looked quickly and can only find em for 250-300 :eek: