varnish help!!

lehkyc

Seaman Apprentice
hello everyone,
im varnishing the floor in my runabout boat. iv got 4 coats on so far. i did not epoxy before the varnish and i wish i would have. can i epoxy on top of the varnish then add a coat or two of varnish on top of that?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: varnish help!!

oh yea, no problem.

Pardon my ignorance to the topic, but I am also doing some varnish work and it interests me to learn new ways of going about it. I was under the impression the epoxy worked by bonding with and sealing the wood? Would a few layers of varnish below cause an issue with the epoxy providing a water repelling seal? The epoxy sealer I used on my cockpit teak seemed to soak down into the wood, something I can't imagine it could do with varnish down first.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pardon my ignorance to the topic, but I am also doing some varnish work and it interests me to learn new ways of going about it. I was under the impression the epoxy worked by bonding with and sealing the wood? Would a few layers of varnish below cause an issue with the epoxy providing a water repelling seal? The epoxy sealer I used on my cockpit teak seemed to soak down into the wood, something I can't imagine it could do with varnish down first.

This would be my thought as well. For maximum effectiveness I'd think you'd want the epoxy down first. If it isn't, I wouldn't waste the money on it. Just go with the varnish.

Ned L

Commander

Yes, you could, but I too would wonder why? The epoxy would be a hard layer in the middle of the varnish and things will adhere to the wood no better than the varnish. What am I missing here?

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

This would be my thought as well. For maximum effectiveness I'd think you'd want the epoxy down first. If it isn't, I wouldn't waste the money on it. Just go with the varnish.
but if he is looking for depth of finish.....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

hello everyone,
im varnishing the floor in my runabout boat. iv got 4 coats on so far. i did not epoxy before the varnish and i wish i would have. can i epoxy on top of the varnish then add a coat or two of varnish on top of that?

Welp..what Varnish did you use ?

What wood did you varnish over ?

How did you prep the wood before varnishing ?

You can apply whatever you want on your wood..the thing is the Base Coats..what is that going to do for ya.

If your first coat fails..then all other coats are going to fail with it.

No .. the epoxy will not protect against the "layers" of varnish if thats what your talking about..

The first 3 questions will answer your questions ..

YD.

lehkyc

Seaman Apprentice

the only reason i was thinking of putting down some epoxy followed by more varnish was to build the finish up quicker. the varnish is shiny after 4 coats but there are still dimples in the wood where some varnish has soaked deeper in the grain than in other places. so i figured the epoxy might flatten and even everything out and then id add a coat or two of varnish for UV protection.

lehkyc

Seaman Apprentice

25thmustang, im sure some epoxy does sink into the wood but i think if i sanded, it would still adhere fine considering it will stick onto fiberglass hulls and such.