Adding another battery to my 10 Q8i

magiaone

Cadet
Evening all, been thinking of the upgrades during the winter months here in MI, and one of the things I would like to do is to add an additional battery so that when we are hanging out with the radio etc on, theres no risk of getting a flat.

Any ideas - anybody done this?

On the water

Cadet
Re: Adding another battery to my 10 Q8i

I added another battery to my Q7i and it wasn't hard. As for mounting, the second battery fit right behind the first one. I have had this in place for about 2 years, and haven't noticed any adverse handling from the weight of 2 batteries on the same side (in case someone mentions this). You will want to look for a battery switch, I used Perko but there are other makers out there. You should be able to get a battery tray from West Marine (or other marine store) to mount the battery on, so that you can strap it down so it doesn't move. After that, I mounted the Perko switch to the inside of the engine compartment and wired it up, it was really quite easy. The only thing to remember is that the alternator on the boat won't be able to charge both batteries at the same time, so make sure that you never set the switch to 1&2. Good luck with the install.

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm looking to do the same on my 2004 Q4 f/s. There is already a second battery dedicated to the trolling motor but no switch and has to be manually charged when it gets drained. It would be nice to have the engine charge this battery. Once I add a switch, is there a way to be able to charge both batteries with the engine alternator and still have the capability of isolating one battery for play time (stereo, trolling motor, etc.)??

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

After reading this thread I did some research and came up with this site. It looks as if they have a very good charging system for dual batteries that give 30 Amps of charge (15 amps per battery) if I were to need a second battery I would go with this setup.

http://www.dualpro.com/products/professional/

magiaone

Cadet

Looks good - think that ll be a decent spring project...........