98 Johnson 115 spl Power Tilt Not Working

West6550

Recruit
Engine turns over and cranks right up no problem, power tilt and trim was working and just stopped. I have a Dual Purpose Battery 650 MCA and 120 reserve at 25amps hour. It cranks the engine right up but the power tilt and trim just makes a clicking noise at the relays. I replaced the relays and charged the battery (which was fine). It still just clicks at the relays.

West6550

Recruit
Re: 98 Johnson 115 spl Power Tilt Not Working

Anybody have a clue? I have a 12 volt tester and the green and blue get power when the switch is hit.. is there some type of safety feature or switch? Tilt doesn't work when running or off. Currently it is sitting on the trailering bracket. I manually lowered it to the brace. I'm stuck here anybody have any helpful hints? I have a wiring diagram and it's wired correctly.

will62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clicking relay usually low battery, bad relay, or loose connections (ground or 12v). Sounds like you've covered the first two. Try doing what's explained in the pic below to rule out a bad trim motor.

2 wire trim notes.jpg

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

If you're getting power to the green (down) and blue (up) at the trim motor when the trim switch is engaged then it sounds like a new trim motor is in your future. They sell em' right here on Iboats http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-Power...4331686--**********.500517639--view_id.271368
They can be rebuilt if you want to go that route. Check automotive starter/alternator shops.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Relays provide ground to the motor when they are not energized. When they are energized the supplu +12VDC over the same wire. So when the up relay is energized, you should see +12VDC on the blue wire and ground on the green wire. It is opposite for the down solenoid.

First test is to bypass the relays and jumper +12VDC to the blue wire and see if motor goes up. If not, then also jumper ground to Green wire. if motor does not spin, it is likely bad. If motor spins, trouble is in relay wiring or relays.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take a small hammer and give t/t mtr a few rapps and see what happens. May be a stuck brush.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the small hammer doesn't fix it, should he get a BFH, and apply some lovetaps? For those who don't know, a BFH is a big hammer. Carpenters refer to them as the "Trim Hammer".

West6550

Recruit

Well I don't know why it was'nt working.. I followed the power wire from the location of the relays to the bridge that the recitifier connects to. I found that the wire to the bridge was getting power but not going out, I scratched up the bridge a little and nothing, so I wired it dierectly to the incoming hot. Took it out on the lake and blew a fuse on plane lol (the power tilt / starter fuse) Of course I'm new to boats and couldnt figure it out lol, So Luckily my 67lb Thrust trolling motors got me to the boat ramp (3 lakes over! lol) Well I got home wired the powerwire back to the bridge, replaced the fuse... and it worked no problem??? Can't explain it.. but it doe's. Took her out from 8am till 430pm yesterday. Man what a great time. Love my (new to me) boat. Thanks for the tips