New to me old boat??

Newken

Cadet
kens1.jpg

Ahoy!
I recently acquired this boat, i have no idea what it is, but i am sure i can fix it up. I am in the process of tearing out everything, I am sure that the stringers need to be replaced. I am new to all off this so I expect to have issues and questions, and any suggestions or tips would be welcomed and appreciated.
Kens 002.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New to me old boat??

Welcome to iboats Newken! Looks like you are going along well with your demo. I would be sure to check the transom as well if your deck and stringers are rotten. There's a good chance the transom is rotten as well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you have all the registration/title paperwork in order before you go spending money on it.

Newken

Cadet

Hi guys,
Thanks for the suggestions, this boat was given to me, apparently there is an ownership that the guy can't find at the moment but he is looking for it. Right now it's a demo project because i have nothing but time, but i will not be spending anything until i have it registered.

Newken

Cadet

Wow! Day one of project deconstruct finished. All that rotten floor is gone.
Kens 016.jpg

I've checked the transom, it seems solid to me but there is some rot where the wood is exposed.Kens 013.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That plate is a Great indicator that the transom is rotten. It is NOT supposed to be on the boat. It was place on there along with the additional wood to reinforce the factory rotten transom. You should be prepared to replace the transom.

Newken

Cadet

That plate is a Great indicator that the transom is rotten. It is NOT supposed to be on the boat. It was place on there along with the additional wood to reinforce the factory rotten transom. You should be prepared to replace the transom.

I did wonder about that. Thanks for the heads up!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hi guys,
Thanks for the suggestions, this boat was given to me, apparently there is an ownership that the guy can't find at the moment but he is looking for it. Right now it's a demo project because i have nothing but time, but i will not be spending anything until i have it registered.

laws for us canucka are different than they are for the guys in the states......we can run with out regi.
if you want hull numbers.....its not that hard to get regi/titles

i would suggest you do some core samples on the stringers.......they dont look all that bad

Newken

Cadet

i would suggest you do some core samples on the stringers.......they dont look all that bad

Most of them appear solid, but near the transom they are bad. I will take some samples... Which leaves me to wonder if it's possible to replace just the bad parts

Newken

Cadet

Rain and snow brought me to a stand still today. So I spent a good portion of the day reading about different materials for the job at hand.
Also may have found a garage I can use for the remainder of the winter!:D

Jeep Man

Commander

Also appears that the transom has been cut down from the original to accomodate a shorter shaft motor.

Newken

Cadet

Jeep Man, I would have to agree with you in that. The motor that came with the boat is a 1960 40hp Johnson model RDS-22. After some digging i figured out that it is indeed a short shaft motor. Will that cause any forseeable problems? Or should I be thinking of building the transom to accomodate a long shaft?

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've rebuilt about 5 boats. There is a point where there's too much damage to warrant your time. Keep in mind what the finished boat will be used for and what it might sell for. If it's a lost cause, don't dispare, there's another, better boat around the corner.

Generally, the motor is 90% the value of the boat. It really has to be right. Get a clear appraisal from a mechanic before spending much.

Newken

Cadet

The finished boat would be used mainly for fishing, the motor runs but does need a tune up. It doesn't need to be a pretty boat just functional.