B78-13ST on a 14" rim?

ejsnead

Cadet
So call me crazy but that's what the tire says "B78-13ST" I know it converts to over to a ST175/80R13, but when I pulled my tape across the rim from out side edge to outside edge it read 14" exactly. Now from working in the automotive field, I've change a tire or two and seen tires on the wrong size rim (rim to large, tire stretch marks, etc) but I ain't seeing that on my trailer. Am I just crazy or am I measuring wrong or what? I've never had to measure a rim size like that before so am I doing something wrong?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: B78-13ST on a 14" rim?yep, you're measuring the rim wrong.... measure the part th

Re: B78-13ST on a 14" rim?yep, you're measuring the rim wrong.... measure the part th

yep, you're measuring the rim wrong.... measure the part that actually fits INSIDE the tire bead and not the lip outside the bead

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: B78-13ST on a 14" rim?

... I've ... seen tires on the wrong size rim (rim too large, tire stretch marks, etc) ...

I just cannot see that it is possible to mount any tire on a rim that is an inch too large.
Increasing the Diameter by 1 inch, increases the Circumference by over 3! (C = Pi x D)
There is no way to stretch the bead on a tire by 3 inches without tearing it to destruction!