Fuel tank access on older KW boat

BryanR

Seaman Apprentice
How does one perform a fuel tank flush on a built in tank?

Does the 1995 Key West 15 have a way to remove and replace fuel tank without cutting into the floor? Just curious.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel tank access on older KW boat

not likely my friend.

most belly tanks are in there for good.

as far as a flush.....why do you think you need one?

BryanR

Seaman Apprentice

Frankly, I have no idea. I bought the boat last weekend and its having a bimini installed this week. Will pick up Sat. But, even though I looked over the boat as thoroughly as I knew to do being a novice, I anticipate having to do a few things to it. Was thinking a 17 yr old tank may not be in the best shape, but it may be just fine. Its got a 4 stroke, so dont think oil has ever been in there.

Was just thinking ahead. I operate under the philosophy that when in doubt, do it. :)

Going to check all the fuel lines too and replace where needed.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

before you jump into the tank...

may i suggest an inlne filter right at the tank......this will tell you if you have contaminants or not

robert graham

Admiral

Also install a fuel/water separator type cartridge filter(Walmart/Attwood $27), easy, 2 screw install on transom. Then check/dump/replace often at first to try and get an idea of water or debris in tank. I just unscrew mine, dump it in a clean container, screw it back on, prime and ride! Double check/clean your motor-mounted(under cowl) fuel filter. Start using Stabil or Seafoam in your fuel tank. No need to cut deck to remove/replace tank unless totally necessary! Good Luck!:)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

well since you haven't seen it...my 1988 KeyWest5 has a removeable floor section over the tank, which was all well and good except once when I had to replace it (leaking) we found that it could not be removed except by chopping up the tank. The replacement tank is removable, sort of.

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, my brother-in-law's 19' Key West got a bunch of water in it's 60 gallon polyethylene tank, screwed up the injectors, lots of trouble, they removed the T-top and center console, cut deck, removed old tank, replaced with a 40 gallon aluminum tank with a welded-in drain line, stainless valve, stainless pipe plug, drains to bilge, not transom. Doubt it's coast guard approved, but should be easy to drain water in the future! Somebody should design and build a built-in tank flush/pump/tank unit for this application!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think a drain system for a built-in tank would be a great idea, too, but there is no way the manufacturers will do that; the liability risk is way too great. It's easy to imagine the safety issue from neglected boats or incompetent owners, and the extreme consequences from equipment failure. Adding the feature would increase costs slightly but would not be recaptured from a higher sales price, so there is no incentive, but plenty of dis-incentive, to add such a user-friendly feature. Such is the way of manufacturing.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How does one perform a fuel tank flush on a built in tank?

Does the 1995 Key West 15 have a way to remove and replace fuel tank without cutting into the floor? Just curious.

BryanR, KW has a new forum operated by the company and employees. You can check it out here.
Don't forget to register.