__it happens!

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer
Last night i found a pic on the net that I had posted on an off-roading forum a number of years ago.

Me finding out that TSL thornbirds were useless... and my wife to the rescue :facepalm:
lefosse006smallsd7.jpg

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: __it happens!

That also looks like a chain popping pull.
TSL's are great grabbers when there is something to grab onto.
But when your up against a wall without lockers.........uh not much help.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Hmmmm...wonder how the school board felt about her using the bus like that...our tax dollars at work...:D

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

SS SXs are way better than the Thornbirds, But w the bumper on the ground thats a stuck w any tire! Looks like the ditch was full of soupy silt!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I had my best luck with Thornbirds in Las Cruces NM where the rocks are really sharp, my buddies were tearing the Wranglers and SSR's up really bad but the thornbirds were great, everywhere else they were just to hard they even had a hard time in Moab with 1 or 2 psi so I eventually went to SSR's of course this is a long time ago, sucks getting old....

aspeck

Staff member

Hmmmm...wonder how the school board felt about her using the bus like that...our tax dollars at work...:D

Don't know about that school district, but in our district all the busses are privately owned and contracted by the school district for field trips, special events and daily pick-up. What they do on their own time is their business, to a certain extent ... can't use a school bus for a non-school event, but it you want to use it as a tow vehicle on your own time, that is your business! :eek:

And yep, from the looks of the ditch, there were no tires that were gonna get you out of that one ... at least not forwards!

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just goes to show, Rednecks are everywhere!

:D

<<)))(((>>

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Back when I was 17, and about 5 months after completing a driving class thru my highschool, I was telling my younger brother how the drivers ed teacher wouldn't let me drive 1mph over the 'suggested' speed limits you see posted before sharp turns, and how that drove me crazy.
I was telling my brother how they're posted too slow, and to prove it, I drove around a curve at speed. I should note that it's the middle of winter in NY.
In my defense, I exited that corner without issue, but immediately following that turn was a patch of black ice, and with the slush along the side of the road, my car was quickly pulled towards the ditch. The ditch I should mention, was about 4 feet deep, and filled flush to the top with heavy snow.
I figure I hit the snow traveling about 40mph, with the car at about a 45 degree angle to its direction of travel. With the front wheel at opposite lock trying to steer the car, it only acted as a funnel into the wheel well as I impacted the heavy snow in the ditch, packing every free square inch of space under the hood with the stuff.
It was so well packed that it bound up every belt and moving part on the engine, stalling it immediately, and refusing to turn over once I regained my wits.
We climbed out of the car to survey the carnage, and quickly realized I was hopelessly stuck. No shoveling or pushing was going to move this car, but after about 5 minutes of staring at it, with interspersed attempts at waving down cars to help, a schoolbus, just finishing up its afternoon route, pulled over, told me to hang on 5 minutes, drove 100 yards down the road to the bus drivers house, picked up a chain, and hauled me out.

Rather long winded, but I hope entertaining. The point is, the public school system isn't ALL bad..... ;)