Larson vs Glastron

Eubie

Cadet
Today I went out boat shopping and wanted to see a few different types of boats and what they had to offer. I ended up liking two boats, a Larson and a Glastron both made with the VEC technology hull with no wood at all under the floors. <br /><br />So let's compare 2 19' boats - Keep in mind that I wanted to stay under 18k in hopes of getting at least 2 grand for my trade in * (see below)<br /><br />2003 Larson LXI 190 I/O<br />-Volvo Penta 4.3 V6 190 HP <br />-Depth guage<br />-Engine timer<br />-Bow and cockpit tonneau snap covers<br />-Boat cover<br />-AM/FM CD (on driver side and not in glove compartment<br />-Black paint with white and gold accents<br />-EZ Loader Trailer<br />-Resessed cleats<br />-Hose attachment on engine to wash out engine<br />-Cargo nets in engine compartment for more storage<br />-Leather like interior<br />-Snap in carpet<br />-Telescopic 3 rung swim ladder<br />-Tilt Steering<br />-Volvo 2 year warranty<br />-Hull has a lifetime limited warranty<br /><br />Price $22200<br /><br />2004 - Glastron SX 195<br />-Mercruiser 5.0L 220 HP<br />-Paint is white with red letters and striping <br />-EZ Loader trailer<br />-VEC Hull no wood anywhere<br />-Tilt Steering<br />-1 Year Mercruiser warranty<br />-Oil drain tube attached to end of boat drain plug<br />-Regular 1 rung swim ladder<br />-AM/FM Cassette in glove box<br />-Hull has a lifetime limited warranty<br /><br />Price $19200<br /><br />What do y'all think about the 2? <br /><br />I'm not absolutely positive that the Larson has the 4.3 190 HP or if it's the MPI 225hp (big difference on my decision I think) But the 5.0 on the Glastron is pretty appealing.<br /><br />I'm more of a Mercruiser kind of guy since my current boat has the 4.3L 175 and I'm used to working on it but after finding out that the standard warranty on Volvo is 2 years and the Mercruiser is 1 year it makes me wonder. Any ideas?<br /><br />*My current boat is an '87 Cobalt 17BR and has some serious rot in some of the wood and it's only getting worse. It runs fine and has no stress cracks anywhere. I was told that my trade in (without them seeing it) would be around 1200 bucks and that I would be better of selling it myself. Both places want 10% down and said that my beacon score on my credit needs to be at least 700...I'm right at 685 now. <br /><br />Sorry this is so winded but I wanted to get some opinions on boat buying in general and which boat out of these 2 is a better deal. <br /><br />PS. I may look at the Four Winns and Chaparrals but I think the Chaparrals may be out of my price range.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Larson vs Glastron

"no wood at all under the floors" is no longer a novelty. It is a widespread trend for the industry. Roughly 1/2 of all '04 boats in this size can make the same claim. Certainly not limited to Glastron and Larson. Here is another good thread on bowriders in this size range - New Boat <br /><br />Kelly Cook

hammlfam

Seaman Apprentice

I can't speak for the Larson, but I can for the Glastron. I have a 2003 195sx with the 4.3 Volvo and absolutly love it. I chose the 4.3 over the Merc 5.0 for 2 reasons. The Volvo was MUCH smoother in shifting and the 2 year Volvo warranty vs. the 1 year Merc. The 4.3 is Plenty of motor for us. I'm 230lbs and it pulls me just fine. I realize it is a starter type boat, but it handles like a dream and is just a fun all around boat to own. By the way, I only paid 16.7K for mine. Just FYI<br /><br />GOOD LUCK!!!

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a Glastron GX205 w/Merc 5.0L (220hp). We love the boat and have had only 1 minor problem over 1-1/2 yrs of owning it - toggle switch on bilge blower went bad.<br /><br />Can't compare it to the Larson since I've never owned/ridden in one but I am a happy Glastron owner!

Eubie

Cadet

Thanks for the responses. I've been searching through the forums and have heard nothing but good things about Glastron and not a whole lot about Larson. I had my mind set on a Glastron until I saw the Larson. <br /><br />So 16.7k for the 195sx? Did it come with any covers, snap in carpet, bimini top? They offer the canvas package (top, etc) and the convenience package (depth, hour meter, auto bilge). The dealer with the Glastron just orders plain jane boats but with bigger engines. It was going to be an extra 600 bucks for both of these add on packages. <br /><br />I went to Boattest.com and checked out both boats and they both got great reviews. I'm going to test drive both this weekend so we'll see how it goes. <br /><br />Also, would it be worth it to pay that extra 1000 bucks for the extended warranty on a volvo (4 extra years = 6 total) or extra $$ for an extended warranty on any engin? <br /><br />I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

hammlfam

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Eubie<br /><br />It came with a cover, snap in carpet, upgraded CD player but no hour meter or depth gauge nor bimini top.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Suggest that you give the greatest weight in the decision to the basics and not the goodies as they can be added later as funds permit. Also the dealer markup on the goodies is horrendous.