Installing Speed/Temp Sensor

tbeall

Cadet
I have a 2002 Starcraft 18' pontoon boat. It has an Eagle fish finder with the sonar transponder mounted on the usual bracket at the end of the 'toon log. The transponder is mounted to the back side of the bracket and extends out to the back, with the center line in line with the bottom of the bracket. Just how you should mount one to match the hull bottom of a non-pontoon boat. My question has to do with installing the new speed/temp sensor I purchased for the Eagle. The bottom of the mounting bracket would be a nice place to mount it, but I know that turbulence can negatively impact sonar readings. Would mounting the speed/temp sensor on the bottom of the bracket, just forward of the transponder cause enough turbulence to create issues?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Installing Speed/Temp Sensor

Ayuh,... Can ya mount it Beside, instead of ahead of,..??

Or on the Other log,..??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Do not mount the two devices in line with each other as that will not work. Mount them side by side. The two units are not dependent on either other. Skimmer transducers are placed so the horizontal centerline of the transducer is flush with the bottom of the boat. Placement of the speed/temp sender is not critical but the paddle wheel does need to be just a tick below the hull.

tbeall

Cadet

That's what I was afraid of. So now I think I must have another bracket installed on the other log end. Bummer, but thanks to both of you for the input.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I though this installation was on a regular boat???????? (You said --- "Just how you should mount one to match the hull bottom of a non-pontoon boat.) The bracket at the back of most pontoon tubes is plenty wide to mount both the transducer and the speed sensor. I have that identical setup on my pontoon. Look at the right side pontoon. You can see the speed sensor but the picture cuts off the transducer. The bracket on that side is the same width as the one on the other tube. If your bracket is too narrow, go to any metal fabricator in town and buy a piece of flat aluminum and screw it to the existing bracket. Use your imagination. No need to overthink things.

Axle.jpg