Marathon Fishing

Fly Rod

Commander
Spent seven days in Marathon in the Florida Keys. Weather was great 80 degrees and fishing was great too, fished five mornings. Fished aboard the Marathon Lady about 65 foot for a half day at a cost of 45.00 dollars and if you wanted to fish the afternoon they charge another 25 bucks. Caught a lot of small fish such as yellow tail, grouper and grunts. Average morning catch was 25-30 fish, enough to keep me busy either throwing them back overboard or giving them to the crew or others that were not catching fish. Do not use them boat rods.

Gear to use is light spinning rod set up cost 30 -36 bucks, 1/16, 1/8 or 3/16 yellow jigheads depending on current with a piece of squid.

One day was very windy, blew 25 knots, 4 foot chop and whitecaps, didn't see any chummers on board.

Stayed at a nice motel on a beach, as long as the wife has a beach I can fish, excellent trade off, a Tiki Bar and restaurant next door and also a nice Tiki Bar just before the seven mile bridge with a swimming pool and Tiki Bar at pool side.

Sorry no pictures.:)

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Marathon Fishing

Sounds like you had a nice trip! i live 2 1/2 hours from key largo and even though it is so close it seems like i can hardly ever get down there. I love the Big Pine Key area and try to get down there every year for lobster mini season. didn't make it this past year and am going out of my mind wanting to get back there. thanks for the info on the party boat, seems like a decent price for what it is.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Fly Rod, sounds like you visited the tiki bar at Holiday Isle. Can't recall how many times I had too many of their famous Rum Runners!

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ah, the tiki bar at holiday isle, spent many-a-nights there.........just wish i could remember them! lol

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Holiday Isle is in Islamorada, he was in Marathon, I think every hotel or bar has a tiki hut these days.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Caught many Barracuda on the gulf side of Big Pine Key. Now you got me longing for it! :(

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a trailer on BPK, we're down there often. I'd like to do about 6 months there, 6 months here, maybe some day.

Fly Rod

Commander

Just got home from spending another ten days in Marathon, most of the week was windy and managed to fish 6 mornings on the Marathon Lady once again. targeted yellow tails and did very good most days with 10-12 tails each day, the cleaning lady was happy with the fish that I gave her every day.The fresh fish market gets 14.00 per pound for yellow tail. When I got bored I would fish the bottom for grunts etc:. Already booked for next year in January and March.

We always rent a place with a kitchen but hardly ever use it except for the wife to cook her self breakfast, next year we will be cooking some yellowtail dinners in the unit. Gets exspensive eating out every day. By the time you have a couple of drinks and eat the bill is always around a 100 bucks.

Just got home from spending another ten days in Marathon...By the time you have a couple of drinks and eat the bill is always around a 100 bucks.

Now I am jealous. I live in south FLA and have a place in Key Largo and even I don't get down there as often as you. :D

You are correct about eating out. We always cook in and usually it's our catch. I do a lot of back country and some off shore. Last time out we nailed over 30 sea trout in about 2 hours. Yum!