Engine Question 70 Evinrude

Jaddis94

Cadet
So i got a chance to go out on my boat i just bought yesterday finally,and ran into a little problem. I put 10 fresh gallons of premix in it before going out, and also keep in mind the boat set for somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 months before i got it. So when i left the dock it ran great for about 30 or so minutes, then it bogged down. You can run it up to 3 thousand RPM's but then when you try to go anywhere past that it boggs out. But when you have it at 3 thousand, you can throttle up and hold the choke in and it will rev on out and run great? Once i was holding in and playing with the choke it was reving on out to 5 thousand rpm's running great. I got back in and looked at the inline fuel filter and you could see alot of trash in it. I have a inline under the cowl that goes from the coming in fuel line to the carb,then i also have one outside in the fuel like coming from the tank to the motor.I figured i would replace both of them and also add a fuel water separator? Any one got any advice on what it is thats causing this? To me it seems like dirty fuel,clean the carbs? Also its a 1988 Evinrude 70

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine Question 70 Evinrude

If you have to choke it to make it go then I would go through the carbs for sure.

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Engine Question 70 Evinrude

Pay particular attention to your high-speed jets. You need a special tool to get the jets out, but I think the specs for making your own tool are in the "Top Secret Files".

Good luck

Rgds