1979 70hp Evinrude 3 cylinder. Will idle at home. will not idle in water under load

rob619

Cadet
I have a 1969 glastron I repower it with a 1979 Evinrude 3 cylinder. I can get it to idle with little problem on the rabbits ears. The water pump pump great. The problem his when we put it in the water it will not idle under load. And when you can get it to idle in water has soon has it goes in to gear it dies.

Any help will be greatful thanks.

Thanks

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 70hp Evinrude 3 cylinder. Will idle at home. will not idle in water under lo

check spark and compression first of all and see if both are good

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 1979 70hp Evinrude 3 cylinder. Will idle at home. will not idle in water under lo

While it is idling at home start pulling plug wires one at a time and see what happens, if you hit one that doesn't make a difference check for spark.

If you have spark I would look at cleaning your carbs, kinda hard to tell when a 2 stroke has a miss, if all that checks out you can turn the idle up a bit but that si the last thing you want to do, make sure everything else checks out first.

A compression gauge can be had for a 20 at any auto parts store, get one and a spark checker, they are also really cheap.