1986 2 stroke 30hp Nissan Outboard

Brandonr3135

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

First things first, I am new to this whole forum thing. Anyways, I need some help BAD, I had bought a 1542 Grumman boat with a 30hp Nissan on it for $1 and have had nothing but trouble with it. The only thing I am angry about is everytime I go to get in my boat the battery dies on me and I am sick and tired of it. I need some help trying to figure out if it has an alternator on it and if so where it is, so I can have it checked out. I don't know what else it could be, I've gone through 3 batteries in one year. If anyone has a suggestion on what to do, please HELLLLLLLLP.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 2 stroke 30hp Nissan Outboard

That model is 25 years old, should have a alternator under flywheel and a rectifier to charge the battery, probably one of them is missing or is kaput, is it a electric start engine ?

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Hello Everyone,

First things first, I am new to this whole forum thing. Anyways, I need some help BAD, I had bought a 1542 Grumman boat with a 30hp Nissan on it for $1 and have had nothing but trouble with it. The only thing I am angry about is everytime I go to get in my boat the battery dies on me and I am sick and tired of it. I need some help trying to figure out if it has an alternator on it and if so where it is, so I can have it checked out. I don't know what else it could be, I've gone through 3 batteries in one year. If anyone has a suggestion on what to do, please HELLLLLLLLP.

What is the model number of the engine?

pvanv

Admiral

If your motor is not electric start, it would not have a charging system from the factory. Post the exact model, and we can help you.

Brandonr3135

Recruit

Where would the serial number/model number on the motor. I will check today and update you on it.

pvanv

Admiral

Model/Serial is critical for servicing Tohatsu/Nissan outboards. The label should be on/near the transom clamp.