in reply to a really good question......

oops!

Supreme Mariner
A question was asked on another thread.....I dont want to hijack....so I started a new one.

I don't want this to turn into another poly vs epoxy thread....but I do want to cover some basics.

Here is the back ground.....

Epoxy.....is a really good glue....and far exceeds the amount of pressure needed to de laminate fiberglass from a plywood substraight.
However......due to the cost of epoxy...it makes production building prohibitive.

And here is the question.

oops, It is agreed resin is more cost effective from a production perspective, but what about the one-shot guy that is rebuilding his project? Wouldn't it make sense to use epoxy rather than poly?

Let me try to break this down....

First off..when any one builds a boat.....it is there boat.....and they can build it however they want with what ever materials they choose.

Poly resin, Even if improperly applied.....will last the typical home boat builder far longer than he will care to keep the boat.

If the home builder chooses to use epoxy.....that is a great tool for the job...it will make the boat last longer...
But if a properly done job with poly will last 40-50 years...and epoxy will last 60.....where is the real benefit?
The average boat owner only keeps a boat 5 years !!

Lets look at Mccraney.
He is doing a fantastic job on his build......his boat will last 40-50 years with average upkeep.
We know......because he is the kinda guy he is....;):p After his build is done.....in a few years he is going to want a different boat to fit his changing life style......his kids will be older, possibly a few more bambinos, he might decide his needs are a toon....or possibly a deck boat or cruiser series in the 30 foot range.

What benefit would he get if he used epoxy?....
Higher resale?...possibly :facepalm: but not enough to make any real difference in his life.
So for the cost of the epoxy being twice as expensive as another product that will last 50 years.....why use it?

Epoxy does have its uses in race boats......The hydrodynamic stresses of 100 mph boats....dictate that a strong product be used....
Poly could easily handle these stresses, but to get the stregnth needed, you would have to manufacture with vac bagging, extra layers of triax cloth.....this is just more weight, so Epoxy and kevelar is the choice, because you can achieve the stregnth and stiffness with less product thus less weight.

So.....to break it down to its most simple statement.
In the boats we are working on, what ever kind of resin we use, is a personal choice.
I like the poly because of the very fast cure times, I can do a entire boat in no time. with Epoxys 24 hour cure times.. Its do a layer .....wait a day......do another layer....heck...for a simple stringer transom deck job. It would take 3 months to do a job I can do in a week. As a pro....The customer will kill me for taking so long !

Again, for what we do here.....it is a personal choice to the builder, we cannot come down on a guy for deciding he wants to use a cheap or expensive product in his build.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: in reply to a really good question......

where is the real benefit?

Ayuh,... Don't take this wrong oops, it's not to argue the point, at all...

The only real Benefit is,... Epoxy will hide the Mistakes of poor preparation...
Due to the fact it's so much stronger, it'll hold onto a poorly prepped surface, better than poly on a poorly prepped surface..
All else being equal...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is very very true.....but even a carpy job with poly is going to last 10 years.

(this is provided that average up keep is done.....boat covered....bow high....ect.)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Lets look at Mccraney.
He is doing a fantastic job on his build......his boat will last 40-50 years with average upkeep.
We know......because he is the kinda guy he is.... After his build is done.....in a few years he is going to want a different boat to fit his changing life style......his kids will be older, possibly a few more bambinos, he might decide his needs are a toon....or possibly a deck boat or cruiser series in the 30 foot range.

Thanks Oops..., but you have me a little concerned... Are you suggesting that I might outgrow my 19' run-about with all these kids???? Its coast guard rated for 8, but I think I can squeeze all 200 of them on there.... no prob...

overcrowded-ferry-heading-majuli_514252.jpg

Editor's note: This is a stock image and not an actual representation of my family (It has 2-3 too many people)....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

is that you at the helm?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dont you have some vids to edit? :eek: :D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I guess I have a quick question on this subject, I'm glad it came up. I picked up a new project that just had new deck, stringers and transom put in using epoxy. The job done was poor and it all has to come out. Being they used epoxy would I be able to use poly if I ground out as much of the new glass work or would it be best to use epoxy in this instance?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that depends boatnut.

first off.....how come it has to come out?....
even a bad job will last 5-10 years.

if you want it out.....you will have to grind out all the annime blush on the top layer of the epoxy any how.
so......you are grinding any way you put it....
if you can grind down to the bare wood and glass.....everything is new again...and you can use what you want....but dont miss any spots of the blush....or you wont be able to bond anything to anything.

if you just need to do 2 or 3 areas...
i would suggest you just use epoxy.....as the total cost of the job will be way down in an overall sense.

but again... how bad is it that it all has to come out?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

that depends boatnut.

first off.....how come it has to come out?....
even a bad job will last 5-10 years.

if you want it out.....you will have to grind out all the annime blush on the top layer of the epoxy any how.
so......you are grinding any way you put it....
if you can grind down to the bare wood and glass.....everything is new again...and you can use what you want....but dont miss any spots of the blush....or you wont be able to bond anything to anything.

if you just need to do 2 or 3 areas...
i would suggest you just use epoxy.....as the total cost of the job will be way down in an overall sense.

but again... how bad is it that it all has to come out?

There are several reasons I feel it needs to come out. First is in the transom construction. They used two 3/4 pieces of ply but they weren't laminated together. There is a gap between the two pieces of wood. There are also voids between the wood and transom skin. When they put the new deck down they didn't seal the bottom of the wood and they also didn't adhere it to the stringers, they just glassed it to the hull sides. The deck doesn't even touch the center stringer towards the rear. It also appears they used indoor veneeer ply for everything. I'll be posting some pics on my thread later today.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

There are several reasons I feel it needs to come out. First is in the transom construction. They used two 3/4 pieces of ply but they weren't laminated together. There is a gap between the two pieces of wood. There are also voids between the wood and transom skin. When they put the new deck down they didn't seal the bottom of the wood and they also didn't adhere it to the stringers, they just glassed it to the hull sides. The deck doesn't even touch the center stringer towards the rear. It also appears they used indoor veneeer ply for everything. I'll be posting some pics on my thread later today.

UGH.....
sorry to hear that my friend.
you have just described the worst case screw ups in each step of building.

Ie......
When you build a transom....no voids
when you install a transom.....one of the things that is imperative....is to make sure you contact the hull skin....
the other....attach the sole of the boat of the stringers.

this is a total Fail.

your call on what you want to use boatnut....you will be starting fresh any how.
may I suggest that when you get to the stringers.....make sure they are bedded....it doesnt sound like they (the previous builders) knew they should be.

If they have to come out.....you are starting fresh....if they dont have to come out....you could go with epoxy below the deck....and poly above if you want....

you are open to any way you want to build it.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

The guy I bought it from said all the work was done by a friend of the family who works at a Marina and does this for a living. I talked to him a few months back to get some info on materials and steps used. He said the stringers were bedded in with thickened epoxy. It appears to me they used dimensional lumber for the stringers, and I would prefer ply. I guess if I have to completely gut it again, poly would be ok. I would really prefer to be able to gel over the deck when finished.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am an epoxy person for the most part- I have my reasons. I know that poly si a great material, and would probably be just fine- But I use epoxy... Here is why.

First, I got in to boat repair AFTER I had built boats... I built plywood boats, and used epoxy during their construction. The bond strength between epoxy and wood is, as you know, far better than poly- So for this type of construction, epoxy is the only way to go. So, I got used to using epoxy, and stuck with it.

Second, I like the longer working times. I can mix up a batch, and take my time. This is, of course, a double-edged sword- While it can be a benefit, it is also a drawback- It means waiting longer- a LOT longer- between 'coats' or layers... I can live with this, but if I were trying to make a living doing it, poly would win out for sure.

The Smell factor is a big one for me. Styrene is obnoxious. I just can't stand the smell of it- To me, the smell alone is worth the extra price. But then again, I'm a wuss. Oh- My wife would also kill me if I did poly work in the basement :)

So, I have my reasons... Though, I may be using poly on my NEXT project- For other reasons...

-Andrew

Trooper82

Commander

that depends boatnut.....

..........you will have to grind out all the annime blush on the top layer of the epoxy any how.
..........but dont miss any spots of the blush....or you wont be able to bond anything to anything.

Question:

What do you mean by blush?

Reason I ask is that on my boat I found some odd colored resin..and want to know if this might be epoxy and needs to be taken completely out?

Picture for reference - see the bottom center of picture...

Feel free to delete this post if it doesn't belong in this thread.

Trooper

DSC00820.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hi trooper....

The Annime blush is a wax like barrier on the epoxy.....it comes to the surface during cure.

What you are looking at in your boat......is Pooled poly resin.. or resin that is thicker in that area.
Properly catylized poly turns that amber color....actually a darker brown in larger full resin quantities.

your good to go bud....just give that area a quick swipe with a grinder to knock any excess resin