1972 Glastron GT-160

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Well I picked up another little project this weekend. I thought it would be good as it would give me a chance to do some glasswork on a smaller scale before jumping into the Silverline. It's a 1972 Glastron GT160.

The transom, deck and stringers were just replaced but it wasn't a very good job IMO. They used what appears to be veneer plywood. The deck isn't even adhered to the stringers and in the back it doesn't even make contact with the middle stringer. They also didn't put any knee braces back in which would put alot of stress on the transom with a bigger motor. The transom was replaced with two 3/4 pieces of plywood that weren't laminated together. There is about a 1/16 gap between the pieces. I will have to tear all this out and start over. They used West system epoxy for the build so I will probably use the 5 gallons of US Composites epoxy that I already have on hand. Another problem I found is the deck isn't wide enough to touch the hull where it needs to. It needs to be approximatly 51" wide and it's only 48. Some corners were cut and I want it done correctly. Should be a fairly easy project compared to the Silverline.

The cap is set back on but hasn't been reattatched along with all of the hardware so that will save a bunch of time. I also got all the original interior pieces which will work good for templates.

P1020592.jpg

P1020595.jpg

P1020594.jpg

P1020590.jpg

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1972 Glastron GT-160

neat find. looks very sporty. I think you're right about the floor and transom though. are you gonna keep it yellow, or go with another color?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

theboat029-2.jpg

This is my motivation for the project :D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

neat find. looks very sporty. I think you're right about the floor and transom though. are you gonna keep it yellow, or go with another color?

It will probably get painted, but I will keep the same color scheme. I think the yellow would look sharp with a Merc tower of power on the back :cool:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Drew, I love a guy who doubles down with full-blown MBS right before his wedding, no less. Man, I gotta tell you, I love these old glastrons.... (probably because I am James Bond fan).... I love the yellow, too...Glad you are inclined to keep it.... Only other acceptable choice would be the classic "burnt orange" that they used on some of these old glastrons.

While I think there is no substitute for the "sound" and power of a good I/O set-up, I also see the benefits of an O/B set-up in terms of getting to a splash faster, not having to be quite so meticulous on the transom details and also not losing a bunch of space on your deck to the dog-house... This will be a great "play" boat for you...

No doubt this will be a very cool boat... Maybe this could be a short-term project and the Silverline can be that long-term dream project...

I'm watching with interest... Good luck!!

Also, unfortunately, your first post could probably be a "sticky" on how NOT to restore a boat. I agree...rip it all out and know that it's done right...

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Cool project! Glastrons are neat old boats with a rich history. Your 'inspiration' was redone by a guy named Gil who hangs @ the Classic Glastron site. Hull was in purty rough shape when he got it but he did a beautiful resto. If I'm not mistaken it had a merc 115 'tower of power' on it and would run in the lower to mid 50s. Depending on prop selection. He sold the boat, which he regrets, but is now in the process of redoing a CV 21. A CV 21 looks just like a GT 160 on roids btw. Big block jet drive.

Jerry on the Minnesota Classic Glastron site is putting the finishing touches on a unique GT160 resto. Boat had the windshield section moved 2 feet aft & deck lengthened. Chopped a couple inches off the top of the w/s, etc. Looks really cool actually. But I digress.

Best of luck with your project. Can't wait for updates.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Patrick, the fiance told me I need to have a boat restored for each kid by the time I pass on, and she wants seven :eek: I have an excuse now. This is more or less going to be a learning project in preparation for the Silverline. I like the simplicity of the OB setups. I agree with the "how not to restore a boat" I will get some better pics tomorrow of the problem areas

V153, I really like the Glastrons as well, the GT's were some neat looking boats. I have a 140 tower sitting in the garage but it would be overpowered and I don't like the thought of that. I actually bought this from a member on classicglastron.com. I saw the one you are talking about with the moved windshield, he was doing a great job.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't get a chance to put up those pics yesterday as I was laid up all day with the flu bug but here they are

Horrible transom replacement attempt

IMG_2772.jpg

Air pockets where the deck meets the hull as the deck was cut to short and they just bridged over it with matt

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

The middle stringer doesn't meet the transom like I think it did from the factory. Looks like they put the stringer in and then cut part of it back out?

IMG_2768.jpg

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Nice find Boatnut...looks like you will have some fun on this restro!!!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Nice find Boatnut...looks like you will have some fun on this restro!!!

It should be fun and go fairly quick compared to the Silverline, that is after I get all the shoddy glass work ground out!

I found a stamp on the end of one of the pices of ply today, and as I suspected, red oak :facepalm:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i thought i replied to this one :confused::confused:

that is one gorgeous boat. drool

when does the rip and strip start?

by the way.....that transom plywood has a super amount of plys.....wow....too bad its the wrong stuff !

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

that is one gorgeous boat. drool

when does the rip and strip start?

by the way.....that transom plywood has a super amount of plys.....wow....too bad its the wrong stuff !

If I get time at the end of this week or over the weekend I will start tearing it down. I really like the lines of these boats, they look fast sitting still :D The wood is 11 ply! I will be going back in with Auruco, I think it is 9 ply? I have a few spider cracks in the gel to repair as well as some stress cracks on the splashwell, which is common on these boats.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I think we talked about it in your thread "In response to a really good question" as I had a question about epoxy/poly compatability since the recent restore was done with epoxy.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol....thanks.....i thought i was goin crazy....

this mod thing is a lot of writing and responding...

its tough when you cant get time to drop in on your friends threads..

if you ever need.....just pm me....and ill get right to you

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

lol....thanks.....i thought i was goin crazy....

this mod thing is a lot of writing and responding...

its tough when you cant get time to drop in on your friends threads..

if you ever need.....just pm me....and ill get right to you

Thanks oops, much appreciated

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25pc-4-1-2-...751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53eb3be5af

Are these what everyone is using for grinding out old glass? If so is there some kind of backer for them? I have been using flap discs on my 4 1/2" grinder but they get expensive fast.

rrumba

Ensign

i actually found a blade like a saw blade for the grinder and wanted to try that out. I used cut off discs to gut it with then the flap discs to take off the remainder.. I believe someone here used one of the osciallating multi tools with good results as well..

love that boat, something along those lines is what my next adventure will be, one that looks like a rocket just sitting there, forget about fishing or cruising on it, just flat out speed and suit removal while skiing

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I found a stamp on the end of one of the pices of ply today, and as I suspected, red oak :facepalm:

Why is red oak a bad thing?? I am going to use Auraco or MDO (If I can find it) but I am just curious...

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Why is red oak a bad thing?? I am going to use Auraco or MDO (If I can find it) but I am just curious...

It is a veneer ply, and I beleive it is bonded together with glue that is not waterproof. Other than that red oak is pretty weather resistant.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

It is a veneer ply, and I beleive it is bonded together with glue that is not waterproof. Other than that red oak is pretty weather resistant.

Ahh I see...it is not just about the wood but what other materials that go into making the ply. Thanks for the lesson :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Thanks oops, much appreciated

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25pc-4-1-2-...751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53eb3be5af

Are these what everyone is using for grinding out old glass? If so is there some kind of backer for them? I have been using flap discs on my 4 1/2" grinder but they get expensive fast.

yep......that is the stuff......and its a good deal......
in canada.....those are 2.99 a disc.
use a rubber backing pad.
i kinda started everyone on the wrong track about two years ago..... in canada.....that rubber backing pad is called a flapper.
there is a disc you can buy with several sheets of sand paper on it. they call that a flap disc.
everyone on the forum ran out and bought a bunch of those......

the proper tool is the one in the e-bay listing....(i like 24 grit rather than 36....but at 10,000 rpm....it will do just fine)
a neat trick with those discs ....is to throw them in acetone when they look all gummed up....the acetone does not hurt the disc...and they come out looking like new if you just scrub them off a bit.....that 25 pak will last you a few boats !