Top Cylinder Misfiring ...

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1983 Johnson 15hp engine has developed a hard starting and stalling problem. When cold and first starting, it floods easily and you can only pull out choke briefly. If it doesn't start immediately it becomes saturated with fuel and it is very difficult to restart. It is electric start and I must turn over for at least 20 or 30 separate (lengthy) attempts before all excess fuel residues have been purged. If you pull choke again forget it ... it becomes super saturated. As soon as you get it going, you need to throw it into gear and rev it up high to keep it from stalling. The engine is ?coughing? or misfiring until the excess fuel is consumed. After 30 or 40 seconds of coughing, both cylinders kick in and it seems to run well. But, if you shut the motor off for just a few minutes and try to restart it, it is flooded all over again.

I obviously assumed it was the float and pulled the carb, checked float position, blew out the ports with compressed air and reinstalled with same result. Next, I bought carb rebuild kit, pulled all sealed plugs, blew all ports, installed a new float, replugged, etc. and reinstalled ... same exact problem. Thinking the carb may have a deeper problem I removed a carb from a backup motor but, got the same result.

I began to wonder if it was a mechanical/electrical issue and not a fuel problem. As a test, and with the engine cold and running choppy, I pulled each plug wire and noticed that the top cylinder had little effect on the performance. When you pulled the bottom wire the engine would stall immediately. It would slow slightly when pulling the top wire but it was obviously not helping the initial cold/start operation and this seemed to point to why it had trouble idling.

The next thing I checked was compression. It has 110 in each cylinder.

I switched coils (top to bottom) but got the same problem. I even tested a coil off the parts motor but got the same result.

Swapped spark plugs then bought new plugs ? same result.

Did a simple visual spark plug test and the arcs looked strong.

Swapped plug wires ? same result.

I started to think it was the powerpack so I swapped it with the powerpack off the parts engine ? same exact result.

Here?s what I think. Since there is an obvious problem with a lack of combustion in the upper cylinder, the flooding is not conventional flooding (i.e. stuck float) but it is rather a buildup of fuel in the upper cylinder which is not completing its burn process and the cylinder (and crankcase) become saturated with excess fuel.

The only odd thing that I notice is that when I pull the plug wire on the upper spark plug (while running) there is a large arc (spark) at the coil. In other words, when the plug wire/boot is pulled (off the spark plug), the homeless spark has no where to go and ?jumps? from the coil wire/boot to the grounding bolt (where the coil is attached to the engine). Perhaps this is normal. After all, the spark needs to find a home, right or wrong?

I just pulled the flywheel and everything looks like new. Nothing obviously wrong jumps out but could it be something less obvious here.

I could really use some ideas ? I have never been this stumped before. All I can think of is either a timing issue or perhaps a reed valve issue.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Top Cylinder Misfiring ...

Do a spark test with a testor. That way you can know definately that its not a spark related issue. Youmay have to do some timer base testing with a meter. It never hurts to check resistance in your wires and the coils also.Something sounds off that you get a spark at the coil when you pull the spark plug side. You should spartk to the plug not from the other end. That's still attached or part of the circuit. And yes, the spark is looking to go to ground. Then, there's less resistance up at the coil than to the plug. Electricity seeks the least path of resistance. SO..................check into that a little more. It may be worth your time. That's also why I suggest a meter on the components.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello,
Try removing the bolts holding on the coil that is arcing, clean them and the coil frame of any corrosion and put it all back together. I suspect you may have a poor ground, due to corrosion over time.

Another thing that can happen is the plugs could be fouled, replacing them is easy and inexpensive.

Lastly, sometimes a ruptured diaphragm on the fuel pump can dump excess fuel in to the crankcase, flooding the engine. You can remove the fuel lines from the pump, and feed the carb fuel by gravity from a small tank and see if the problem goes away.

Since you have already swapped out carbs and power packs, it's more than likely not them, so look at these other things.

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I pull the plug/boot off the spark plug, I'm pulling it about 3" away so there's no way for spark to jump back to the spark plug. I imagine that it is normal for the spark to 'find the path of least resistance' thus this is why it jumps to ground at the coil plug/boot. This leads me to believe that the coil is well-grounded and this sparking is probably nothing more than a hopeful diversion (on my part) and perfectly normal. I'll try it again but this time I will take the plug wire out completely from BOTH ports.

You are correct about using an actual spark tester. I couldn't find my tester thus I did a 'simple' visual and saw a vibrant spark. Obviously a more-or-less worthless test but since I changed the coils it seemed adequate. However, you are 100%correct and until I check the actual numbers I cannot rule this out. I think you're on target with further investigation of the resistance specs on the various components and circuits. I'm getting a bit out of my knowledge base but I'll look on-line and find out how to check the electrical system.

I already went through the same procedure with the fuel pump as I did with the carb. It's been swapped then rebuilt with the same results. I appreciated your input with respect to a ruptured diaphragm ... will keep that in mind for the future but I don't think it applies here ... if there was continuous leakage it would never restart. Also, the spark plugs are new.

AlTn

Commander

an inductive timing light on each plug wire can help diagnose a spark issue