possible bayliner trophy...

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I have the opportunity to purchase a 83' Bayliner Trophy boat with trailer. The boat itself pretty much needs complete restoration. It has a volvo penta 4 cylinder engine right now, but the seller states he has a 302 that he was going to put in it. He is willing to sell the package, boat, trailer and the 302 motor for $600.00. Does this sound like a good deal, should I pass on this one, are there any gotchas with these. To date, all of my experience are with Mercruiser engines and alpha one outdrives...
Any helpfull information would be greately appreciated.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: possible bayliner trophy...

Hi ericcarr2000,

Many questions and variables to give a yes or no answer...

You already know that a complete resto is prolly gonna be the order of the day, So, you have to focus on the other aspects of the boat...

The engine, outdrive...what kind of "Running" condition are they in...sounds like you are contemplating a power swap, from a 4 cyl. to a V-8...what is gonna be involved with that...both Money and time, I don't know, but the guys in the engine forums might be able to help out...

And finally the trailer, is it in good shape? or is going to need the full make over, also?

Just playing at Devil's advocate and throwing out some ideas to think about...

If it still seems like a good buy after all is said and done, you can count on the Iboats Drydock Gang to give you all the advice you'll need to get it "Ship-Shape"...:)

Best of Luck,
GT1M

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Re: possible bayliner trophy...

Hi GT. As far as the engine goes, the seller states he cannot get the 4 cylinder to fire up, which means it probably is just something with the ignition system. He has stated he can turn it over, so its not seized up. The oil is not milky, so there is not water intrusion into the oil. I would like to do the sway yeah. The trailer pretty much is rusty, so would have to be refinished and painted. The trailer actually looke like it will accomodate a 26 or 28 foot boat. You can tell it is made for a bigger boat.