My Fuel Cell Panel Repair

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
I finally got around to fixing the access panel to my fuel tank. It was soft when I bought the boat, and was one of those 'I'll get around to it' projects. As a quick fix when I first got the boat, I put 2 aluminum angle braces in it, and that worked well enough, but I wanted to do it right eventually.

I originally planned on using plywood, and doing it that way, but I read on another forum about a composite called Prisma Preforms, by Compsys. I called and got a sample and a price list, and after talking to Mike at Compsys about what I was doing, how the panel was going to be walked on all the time (it makes up most of the cockpit deck), we decided on their carbon fiber reinforced planks, in 3/4" thickness.

Grand total for the planks was $56, and they even cut them to length for me. The planks are essentially a dense flotation foam that is glassed on both sides. Even though I didn't have to cut them to length, I did have to cut out the holes for the two deck plates. To cut them, I used common scissors, and my Leatherman for the thicker areas.

The planks were really easy to install, and the panel is solid as a rock. I don't have to seal the screw holes or the deck plates, as the planks can not rot. Overall, I'd say this was easier then if I had used marine plywood, and my total cost including resin and brushes was $110.

So, without further ado, here are the pics, starting with the panel before I started, up to the completed repair. 14 pics, so I probably have to do it in 2 posts.

1 - The panel in question
Panel.jpg

2 - The back side of the panel cut off, exposing the rotted core material
Panel2.jpg

3 - A closer look at the core
Panel3.jpg

4 - Coring removed. What a PITA it was to remove it, too!
Panel4.jpg

5 - Half the planks installed on a dry fit
Panel7.jpg

6 - All the planks dry fit
Panel8.jpg

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My Fuel Cell Panel Repair

Part 2

7 - I held them in place with a board clamped length-wise, flipped it over, and traced the deck plate cut-outs onto the planks
Panel6.jpg

8 - The cut outs cut out
Panel9.jpg

I then applied the resin, and installed all the planks. Because the original core was 1/2", and the new planks were 3/4", I did a test fit, and knew I would have to trim 1/2" around the edges for the lip of the deck opening that the panel sits in. What I forgot about were the fuel lines. The line from the tank to the engine I was able to just re-position, but the fuel fill line was bedded in foam, and not flexible, so I had to cut a channel into the plank, and using the scrap glass from the deck plate cut outs, reinforced the channel with the extra glass.

I used lipstick to transfer the route the fuel line took, that way I knew where to cut the channel. You can see how the lipstick transfers from the fuel line onto the planks, showing me where to cut.

9 - The area that is red is the lipstick transfer, and you can see where I made my initial cut. Had to cut out quite a bit more in the end, bit it worked out just fine
Panel10.jpg

10 - This is the first run of the cut channel
Panel11.jpg

11 - This is the 'reinforcement' glass & carbon fiber on the channel. The pic makes it look really sloppy, and it is somewhat, but it's on there just fine
Panel12.jpg

12 - I has some left over glass and the resin I mixed was still useable, and even though it wasn't needed, I added these to the center of the panel for added strength
Panel13.jpg

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

13 - And the finished product!
Panel14.jpg

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, I forgot to mention, the panel weighed about 40 lbs when I started. I'm sure some of that was water weight, but when I was done, it weighs about 10 lbs now. The planks are crazy light, especially compared to the weight had I used plywood again.

Trooper82

Commander

Looks nice beefer, have apic of it installed?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. No pic of it installed, but maybe I'll take one tomorrow.

Trooper82

Commander

That'd be cool. I have been thinking how I want to cover my tank. I think it makes sense to have a deck plate so the float/sending unit can be accessed without ripping the deck up. I plan on the deck being in place long after I am gone. I was even thinkin about doing as it appears you have, A whole panel that can be taken up.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

That panel was designed with the boat. From what I can tell, one deck plate is original, and the other was either added on later, or was a replacement for a broken one. One is tan in color, the other is white (I hate that they don't match). If you know (for sure) where the sending unit is, definitely put in an access plate.