Changing gimbal bearing and bellows again

Launch22

Recruit
Well here we go again..... I paid a "certified mechanic" $500 - $600 to change the gimbal bearing and billows...6 months later my bearing is starting to make noise, upon further inspection I found he had torn the bellows while tightening the clamp. I would take it back and have him fix it but I have moved 1,000 miles away. I am in SW Florida now so the salt water made short work of the bearing. This was only my second trip out. People don't seem to take pride in their work anymore. :facepalm:
My outdrive is a Volvo DP SM serial # 4202003470 Product # 3868.13. I have searched the threads and have not been able to find a workshop manual for this specific drive. If anyone has any info on this drive it would be greatly appreciated. I have not pulled the drive off of the boat yet, but I did pull the bellows back to inspect the universal joint, it does not appear top be rusted at this point. From what I can read this universal cannot be rebuilt, it has to be changed as a assembly, is this correct?

Thanks, Matt

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Changing gimbal bearing and bellows again

This was only my second trip out. People don't seem to take pride in their work anymore.

Really hard to tear a new bellows by accident. To poke a hole in one with a screw driver that slips off the camp isn't even that easy. Are you sure they put on an OEM bellows? I installed a Mallory bellows on a Mercruiser that didn't last the winter and never seen the water, but it split on 3 of the ridges.
If it was in salt water with the bellows torn, you need new ujoints and gimbal bearing.

Launch22

Recruit

Are you sure they put on an OEM bellows?
Im not sure what brand or bellows they used, but it is ripped right were the hose clamp screw is. Ill replace it with a OEM. Do i have to change that universal as a assembly, or can i rebuild it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If it was damaged right at the clamp, then it was just over tightened, to the extreme. The clamps don't have to be THAT tight.

Here is a service bulletin showing the torque. 40 to 60 INCH lbs. That is not really that much torque.

View attachment 44-1-51 Bellows Clamp Torque.pdf