'69 Camaro ZL-1

robert graham

Admiral
Barrett Jackson 1969 Camaro ZL-1 all aluminum 427...sold for $410,000!...coulda' bought it new in '69 for $8000!....All the cars I coulda', shoulda', woulda' bought if I'd only known!:facepalm:

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '69 Camaro ZL-1

I feel your pain. Not even that long ago you could pick up a classic car for a good price. I remember in 1991 going to a little classic car dealer in the next town. They had a 1968 Chevelle SS 396 with a Hurst 4-speed for only $6500. That same car today would probably be $15,000 or more.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if i only would have kept my 69 charger with a hurst knife handle shifter.....383 mag...

i coulda swapped it for a house !

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Not that it's a good investment strategy, but what would be the "investment car" today?
I used to hear, "Buy what today's kids are craving".

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I don't know Ninja, Cars today just lack so much, I understand that they are more "refined" and crap but there isn't a day that goes by I don't kick myself in the behind for selling my mint 67 Camaro in the 90's. My Dad has a Mercedes SL500 and while its fun to drive I would take that old Camaro over the SL any day.

Old Muscle Cars just put a smile on my face....

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

cars I have owned that should have kept

66 Chevelle with a built 327, turbo 350 tranny + high speed stall converter
69 Nova, weak 307 2 speed powergide
70 Dart GT..(my 2nd fav car after the Chevelle)
71 Mustang, 351 C
74 260 Z

Cars my PARENTS should have kept..(It's a vicous cycle people)

Moms 1954 Austin Healy
Pops 31 Ford coupe drag racer..with Offenhouser stacks (Who knows what THOSE are anymore? lol)
69 Tbird w/390
Grandpas 57 Buick Special (original paint looked like showroom when dad sold it)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The BJ "auction" has really disappointed me this year. It has turned into a carnival! :facepalm:

I am appalled that overweight barges with low tech drive trains and suspensions are selling for hundreds of kilobux, but I am not a collector so I don't expect to understand.

I turned down a 300SL Gull Wing in 1964 for $4500. I do understand that one sold for 2 megabux today. I never lusted for muscle cars, I was interested in sport cars. . .real sport cars. Had a XK150S Jag for a couple of months in 1968. Bought it from a customer with a turned main bearing for $500, fixed it and sold for $2500. Bet it would be worth many kilobux today.

southkogs

Staff member

Not that it's a good investment strategy, but what would be the "investment car" today?

Like Lipp said, it's tough to tell. But if you happen to be sitting on a Fiero in good shape ... keep it that way for a few more years. Innovation and obscurity seem to be the winning factors. Muscle was innovation in the late 60's and 70's ... now it's changing. Car design has taken a plunge in the last decade or two so nothing is all that innovative. Something like the Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf will be fun to have around in about 50 years.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I could not resist the urge to actually use and drive the snot out of the car. Old, fast pre 70s hotrods /factory drag cars are too much fun to let sit in a garage all these years:confused:. They were made to be enjoyed BEHIND the wheel/throttle, not as fine art or investments IMO. Give me a noisy, cranky, neck snappin, Solid lifter, 4 speed and I'll be happier than w any of the modern, hightech performance cars:cool:

86 century

Ensign

'68 firebird nothing special factory 6cyl auto.

I was paying attention when my folks would say wish I had.

The old bird is out in the barn on the list to be restored still runs and drives just looks like crap.
Setting next to a '26 ford tub and frame thats on the list as well.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

A good Friend of mine has a 72 Challenger, built 340,4spd, walnut pistol grip, Plum Crazy Purple with a big ole Holley carb on top. The car is a absolute blast to drive, raw horsepower. You stomp your foot and get that smell of high octane fuel, its a experience to drive it. He also has a newer Magnum, all wheel drive, Big Hemi, all black tinted windows, just menacing looking. Its a whole different animal. He has added pipes and mufflers and had it tuned but it just not the same. If you drive the challenger for a hour or so you will have had a workout, you`ll feel wore out. The magnum you could drive to florida and not feel it. We still havent lined the 2 of them up side by side but my seat of the pants dyno says the magnum would be right there with the challenger if not in front. The all wheel drive and that hemi pull hard. Newer cars are more refined, smoother and more economical. Technology can be a great thing. But the newer ones just dont have that Soul, or the smell. lol

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea i love those old muscle cars too. Here are my 2 "mistakes" In 1984 i had a chance to buy a 1965 gto convertible, 389, tripower, 4 speed for $200.00. It need a new top and the tripower was missing( my brother had one in his basement that he said i could have) it was all original and need a little work. Being young with not alot of $$$ i passed even though i wanted it!
1993 girlfriends dad new i liked pontiacs as use to drive a 79 trans am with some motor work. He told me he had a car he was going to sell and wanted to know if i was interested in. He took me to his garage, opened the door and took off the cover to an absolutly MINT,MINT original owner 46,000 mile 1967 gto. Tyrol blue, white int, 400 4bbl, it look as good as it did in `67 when he brought it home. He said $5000 and its yours. AGHHHHH, i had the money but i was going to school at the time and it was the miidle of Feb so i had no where to store it.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

When I was a kid I knew a man who had some Pontiac convertable that had the factory exhaust manifold cutout lever on the dash. I remember he opened them a few times, once as we sat at a stoplight and a guy pulled up and gunned his late model car as if to race. When the cutouts opened, the loud, unrestrained big black Pontiac sounded nasty and the other driver looked away and evedently chickened out! Not that my friend would have raced him or anything:D just letting him know what he was messing with! Good Times I miss now.

halfmoa

Ensign

My buddy's step dad bought some crazy decked out anniversary edition Harley about 10+ years ago (I wanna say Fat Boy but IDK anymore). He trailered it home and pushed it into the garage. Took the wheels off, drained the fluids and covered it up. After it sat for 10 years or more he reassembled it and sold it for quite a price. I wish I had the money to do stuff like that.

FWIW it was parked at the head of the garage amongst the Ferrari, Viper and Lotus just to name a few toys.

Again, wish I had the money...

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Like Lipp said, it's tough to tell. But if you happen to be sitting on a Fiero in good shape ... keep it that way for a few more years. Innovation and obscurity seem to be the winning factors.

Funny, I was just watching Sons of Guns last night and they blew up a Fiero.

I think there will be a market for the late 70's to early 80's Cutlass's, Regals and Grand Prixs. Any of the new Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers will have value especially as mandated gas mileage standards increase and they stop making anything with an 8cyl engine.