Regelcoating catwalk and engine covers

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
What would be the best method to re-coat the catwalk and engine covers of a Nautiline houseboat.

Attachments

• ddoh_005.jpg
    ddoh_005.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ddoh_001.jpg
    ddoh_001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Regelcoating catwalk and engine covers

Ayuh,.... I got 1 of them,... a '69, 34'er....

I'm hopin' to paint the decks with a light blue bedliner this comin' season....

chriscraft254

Commander

My dad had a 43" Nautiline before he built a custom. The best way imo, is sand the decks, wipe with acetone and then apply gelcoat right over the existing gel coat. You will want to mask off the rub rails and such as to not get any on them when rolling out the decks. The hatches are more easily done if removed so you can get to all the edges. do any deck repairs before re-gel coating and once done, use 5200 around the deck to cabin joint.

If you are doing it in the water, you may want to use waxed gel coat so it cures on each coat. You will have to wipe it down with acetone before applying 2nd coat. If you are doing it while it is pulled, you can apply the gel coat without wax and just put wax in the last coat.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Bed-liner that might be a good ideal. Any ideal of the longevity of that on a deck or catwalk? Has this been done before?

chriscraft254

Commander

Bedliner will be the same prep, sand and then apply. The surface will have to be clean in order to apply the bedliner. Bedliner imo is not a good choice. It is not all that durable unlesss it is put on with the heat type sprayer. Gelcoating existing decks is pretty easy,though time consuming.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There are several products that will work, you just need to decide which one you like best.

If you use gel coat, only add wax to the final layer.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I am searching the options now. Boat is 3 counties away and will be pulled for a bottom coat and out drives service before being delivered to slip. That part I am at the mercy of the marinas because I do not have room for the boat or the want to be charged two haul bills. The deck and engine covers I will do once slipped. Just looking at all the options available. I was just going to spray down white gel and let it rip. Now the bed liner is sounding interesting. Just searching experience and opinions to make a choice. What would you do Ondarvr?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

For fishing I like gel coat, but it can be rough on bare feet. I think I like the softer truck bed coatings like Durabak or something similar for an application like this.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

For fishing I like gel coat, but it can be rough on bare feet. I think I like the softer truck bed coatings like Durabak or something similar for an application like this.

Gel coat is rough on Bare Feet ?? .. hmm.. truck bed coatings are softer on bare footsies then ?

I have never seen somebody do a gelcoat coating that is Rough on feet.

If you want the Best Additive to Gelcoat or Paint .. it will have to be ( again ) Griptex. Not walnut shells or other play sand ..

I could be wrong.. but some coatings are not only hard on your Feet..but they would take a Hopper with chunks of old rubber mixed in with some other plasticides that you would not use in the first place.. IMO ..

YD.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Would a person be better to roll the gel or spray it? Durabak would serve the same purpose would it not? Protect the resin and cloth from uv and provide an acceptable appearance?

Bondo

Staff member

Would a person be better to roll the gel or spray it? Durabak would serve the same purpose would it not? Protect the resin and cloth from uv and provide an acceptable appearance?

Ayuh,.... Like I said, I ain't got there yet, but....

My thinkin' is, a tiny bit of tapin' is needed for rollin' the stuff on, 'n Complete Masking, 'n tents would be needed to Spray anything on it....

I've got 2 different products stashed here, waiting to go, 1 is durbark, 'n gator-grip or something or other...
light blue for the houseboat, 'n teal for the nova...

Both are supposed to be the rubbery, tool handle feelin' soft stuff...
Not the hard, plasticy, slippery, hard on the feet stuff....

I've got the carpet outa the houseboat, 'n am considerin' using that stuff, with a smooth roller, inside....
I'll use the manufacturer's textured rollers for the decks...

I also think that gelcoat would wash out the deck texture, 'n possibly end up slipperier than originally...

I know it's Alota sandin', no matter what ya do....

chriscraft254

Commander

I have re-gel coated alot of houseboat decks. The gel coat will be cheaper to do and you can patch areas as needed. Rolling it on is the way to go on the decks. 2 coats on good existing base. 3 coats on any patch work done. I am just guessing, but I think you will find gel coating covers alot more square feet per gallon than Duraback etc. If you want a non skid finish on the decks, add a non skid additive.

If you are having the boat pulled, this is a great time to do the job while landlocked. When your in the water, you have to worry about tools etc. Also the moisture while in the water can play a factor. You should be able to sand and prep all the decks in one full long day. Then apply the gelcoat the following day or two. I would do half the boat at a time. But do all the prep at one time. Rolling the gelcoat will provide a thicker coat compared to spraying.

If applying 2 or 3 coats, you can apply the first coats without wax and then apply the last coat with wax so it cures hard. You can apply three coats in one day easily.

What year is the boat and why do you want to re-gelcoat or redo the decks? From the pictures. it l;ooks in good shape, just maybe dirty.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Gel coat is rough on Bare Feet ?? .. hmm.. truck bed coatings are softer on bare footsies then ?

YD.

Yes gel coat with any type of nonskid additive can be rough on the feet of the wife and young ones, not to mention knees and chins. The rubbery coatings are easily rolled and feel much better under foot. Either one will work, he just needs to decide which fits his needs better.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yes gel coat with any type of nonskid additive can be rough on the feet of the wife and young ones, not to mention knees and chins. The rubbery coatings are easily rolled and feel much better under foot. Either one will work, he just needs to decide which fits his needs better.

Really ? .. you ever applied Extra fine nonskid Only to Gelcoat ? ( Its smaller than granulated sugar m8 ). Slip on your butt kinda stuff that is not intended for Gelcoat..just for Paint applications.

Done correctly Griptex ( mixed with medium/Xtra course ) and gelcoat sprayed or rolled will leave you with the same kinda profile that comes with sand like nonskid on production boats.

You should be able to sand and prep all the decks in one full long day.

Um.. That is debatable. It Depends on the current condition of the surface and profile of the nonskid. Hand sanding/tape sanding can take a day all its own after all the Power sanding is done.

Rolling the gelcoat will provide a thicker coat compared to spraying.

I disagree .. You can only put on so much gel with a roller. With a Gun you can do whatever you like to the surface wherever you want. If your rolling out some Non-skid then your only going to put on so much before it starts lifting it back. I can spray Thick and even .. you Can Not roll thick and even.

If applying 2 or 3 coats, you can apply the first coats without wax and then apply the last coat with wax so it cures hard. You can apply three coats in one day easily.

If your considering using Gelcoat for your base for Non-skid .. Dont use wax. There are additives available that are much more "friendly" then wax.

Just stay away from "wax" in your resins ( this includes your gelcoat ). You do not need it..you dont want it..and you do not know how to remove it properly. Unless your going for a Bilge Gelcoat job, Dont use wax.

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Really ? .. you ever applied Extra fine nonskid Only to Gelcoat ? ( Its smaller than granulated sugar m8 ). Slip on your butt kinda stuff that is not intended for Gelcoat..just for Paint applications.
YD.

Yes, I started using the extra fine nonskid additives back in the mid 1970's in swimming pools and on the surrounding decks, they were better than the coarse alternatives, but were in reality just a finer sand paper. I also used many other additives, glass beads, plastic beads, rubber chunks, water soluble granules, etc, so far nothing has been more little kid or bare foot friendly than the softer bed liner type products.

I use gel coat nonskid on my boats, but they are only used for fishing, no bare feet or bikinis are allowed (well, the bikinis are allowed and I may change the nonskid if it helps attract more of them). The main reason I use gel coat though is because I have it handy at little or no cost.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If your considering using Gelcoat for your base for Non-skid .. Dont use wax. There are additives available that are much more "friendly" then wax.

Just stay away from "wax" in your resins ( this includes your gelcoat ). You do not need it..you dont want it..and you do not know how to remove it properly. Unless your going for a Bilge Gelcoat job, Dont use wax.

YD.

So what is the probelm with wax? Not sure where you're going with this.

chriscraft254

Commander

I'm not sure where Yacht Dr, is going with any of it. Most houseboats when redone are rolled gel coat. If your doing a hull, it is a different ballgame. Your not going to spray houseboat decks when in port escpecially. I have NEVER seen gelcoat applied with a sprayer as thick as rolling it on.

Sure there are additives for gel coat but wax is just fine. It works, period. If the gelcoating is done at the dock it is standard practice here to use gelcoat with wax and then remove the wax with acetone once cured. If you can do multiple coats in a day, then wax only in the last coat. May be easier ways, but that doesn't make this the wrong way.

The Nautiline houseboat in question will take about a day per side to tape off and gelcoat. The only taping really is against the aluminum trim moldings at the joint from hull to cap and taping off the bases of the railings. I have done a few:rolleyes: The taping goes quik because you are taping to aluminum, the aluminum has a gig edge which most people go back and 5200 after gel coating along the top edge. The edge of the decks to the verticle walls can be cut in with a brush then back rolled. Its very easy. Just time consuming and much easier when dry docked.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I agree, the majority of these decks are rolled gel coat and work fine. The main reason for it being done with gel coat when the boat is originally being built and not another type of softer coating is because they already have gel coat, it's easily compatible with the substrate (fiberglass) with little prep work, which results in a much lower cost, plus faster production.

The problem with adding wax to anything other than the final coat is that the gel coat under the wax will cure just like a mold surface, meaning that even though the wax is removed the crosslinking between it and the next layer may (will) be reduced. Will it be compromised enough to cause a problem.....maybe...maybe not, so it is always recommended to add it only to the final layer.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I think wax was the main problem in this boat. When I can get her local I will get closer pics of areas needing repair. Gel is worn or flaked down to the cloth and resin over the plywood in a few spots. Wearability and appearance in the major concerns. Was contacted by a fellow on a different forum that has had Durabak rolled on for 4 years no touch up and no problems. That is the kind of service I am looking for. Cost is irreverent up to a point I just need the best bang for a live aboard boat as we will see most every week end there.

chriscraft254

Commander

I think wax was the main problem in this boat. When I can get her local I will get closer pics of areas needing repair. Gel is worn or flaked down to the cloth and resin over the plywood in a few spots. Wearability and appearance in the major concerns. Was contacted by a fellow on a different forum that has had Durabak rolled on for 4 years no touch up and no problems. That is the kind of service I am looking for. Cost is irreverent up to a point I just need the best bang for a live aboard boat as we will see most every week end there.

Sounds like someone didn't do a good sand/prep job if it is flaking up. Could be as simple as they didn't clean the surface with acetone before applying gel or it was humid when layed or cold. Moisture under the deck could be an issue to. Could be many things.

Anyway, the duraback has been used here by quite a few people that are very happy with it, takes two coats and it also needs the prep done right. they have alot of colors to choose from and I believe they sell it in non skid and slick finish. I am considering something similar for the interior on my boat to replace the headliner. Good luck with what ever you decide to go with.

Budd